Chapter 23 - Adoption

Zoe's P.O.V

Once we reached the centre of Brighton, Alfie passed the little girl to me to carry for a while. I was surprised when she let me carry her. She is so light compared to Darcy. Darcy is light and tiny but this girl is starving. Once we entered Debenhams we let her pick out some plain black pumps then we bought them. We also bought her a  little teddy bear we saw as I could see her staring at it but I knew she wouldn't ask. Soon after, we all headed to the cinema as Alfie proclaimed he wanted to see frozen again but was too old, therefore she was the perfect excuse.

Once we reached the cinema we bought her a small popcorn however she didn't touch it until half way through the movie. By the end I'd noticed she'd crept under my arm as we had the arm rests raised. She is so adorable. I am so glad she's warming to me. I don't know how we're going to let her go. All of the other children and adults were singing along to every song but this little girl, she is different. Alfie placed her popcorn on the floor beside her and whispered over her to me.

'Want to take her home?'

I nodded and he carefully scooped the tiny girl up, realising she'd fallen asleep on me. We carried her to the car without waking her and gently rested her in the seat leant against the window, with Alfies jumper under her head. Once we reached the apartment Alfie slowly carried the sleeping girl in and laid her on the sofa. Me and Alfie headed to my bedroom and she sat on my lap as I sat on the bed.

'Alf, I got a call this morning.. The centre are open today.. bank holiday tomorrow'

He sat and stared at my hands in my lap and whispered.

'I guess we better go then.'

Alfie woke the sleeping girl with a kiss on the forehead and they walked to the car hand in hand. The journey was short and quiet. As soon as we parked the girl quietly squeaked.

'W..where are we?'

'sweetie we are at the adoption centre, we are going to find you a new family'

I mumbled as Alfie stared blankly at his hands. We both hopped out and Alfie walked  to her door and picked girl up gently. Kissing her forehead again. As she laid her head on his shoulder. We walked in quickly to be greeted by a well dressed, older woman stood behind a desk.

'Hello, I am Zoe. We spoke on the phone?'

I said faking a smile.

'Yes, hello. And you are?'

She tightly shook my hand then Alfies free one.

'Alfie.'

He said awfully coldly.

'As we know your situation already, all you need to sign is.. this and she is off your hands.'

She said it so rudely, as if this girl was a burden upon us. She is not. At all. How horrid. I nodded and lent onto the desk and signed the sheet. Then the woman came from behind the desk and Alfie placed the girl down and she clung desperately to his legs. I looked at him and he tightly closed his eyes and removed the girl as she began to cry loudly. The woman wrenched her hand from Alfie's and began to drag her away as she resisted and screamed, and screeched out.

Alfie's P.O.V

'Daddy, daddy please, mummy'

It was painful. My heart broke. Tears streamed from my eyes. Then.  Zoe made a decision.

'We will have her'

She yelled and the woman turned impatiently.

'Pardon?'

'We want to adopt her.'

Zoe said and the girl stopped crying. The woman let go of her hand and she ran to me. I fell to my knees and continued to cry as the girl jumped on me. I held her tiny head against my chest as she cried. I balled into her for longer than I could explain. And by the time I finished Zoe was stood, stroking my head and when I stood with the girl in my arms Zoe smiled and kissed me then said.

'its all signed. She is ours. We have 2 kids Alf'

She smiled and the girl stretched her arms out to Zoe. I passed her to her and she gave her a massive hug.

'T..thank you m..mummy'

I watched Zoe tear up. I hugged them both.

'I love you my girls'

Love jawyerandshoey xx