Chapter 7: Pain is Temporary, Victory is Forever

Rhiannon's POV:

"Pain is temporary. Victory is forever." Dumbledore said once I arrived in his office. "Remember that my dear." He gave me a small smile as I nodded my head. He later sent me on my way back to Horace's classroom. As I walk back I think back to when the term started.

Flashback:

"Who are those people?" Harry turns, sees Luna staring into the darkness, where shadows drift eerily, like ghosts.

"Aurors. For security." Flitwick answers as they can hear Malfoys big mouth.

"It's a not a cane, you cretin. It's a walking stick." Draco hisses Harry and Luna turn. Draco stands amidst a mountain of trunks and owl cages, watching Filch pass a long security detector over a walking stick.

"And what exactly would you be wanting with a walking stick?" Filch asks as I stand near Draco.

"It was his father's." Severus answers with an eye roll. Severus separates from the shadows. Draco eyes him warily, then snatches the stick from Filch.

"Is my father's. He's not dead." Draco snaps as Severus watches him carefully wrap the stick in felt, lay it back inside his trunk.

"It's alright, Mr. Filch. I can vouch for Mr. Malfoy." Severus tells Filch. Draco eyes Snape warily again, then begins to slouch off, catches Harry looking.

"Nice face, Potter." Malfoy laughs as Harry puts a hand to his nose, watches Malfoy disappear into the darkness, trailed by Snape and I.

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn." Dumbledore smiles as mild applause ensues. Harry claps perfunctionly, his eyes drifting to the entrance of the Hall as a pair of Aurors station themselves just outside. "And as Horace's assistant, most of you will remember her, Mrs. Rhiannon Snape." There was more of an applause for me than for Horace.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape." Dumbledore added. This is greeted by stunned silence. Dumbledore frowns, then attempts to generate something by clapping his hands once. A few Slytherins join in and some dim-witted First Years. "Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why."

"Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle." Dumbledore explains as the Hall goes utterly silent. "Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains... you." Harry eyes Malfoy, slouched low, lazily levitating a fork with his wand, as if Dumbledore were unworthy of attention. "Just something to keep in mind. Now, off to bed. Pip pip!" I felt numb as Dumbledore talked about Voldemort, because I knew what I was to him. What I was used for.

"Why is it always you three? Hm? When something happens?" McGonagall asks the trio as Leanne walks away.

"Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years." Ron jokes. Just then, Snape appears at the door, he eyes the trio.