XX

Closer and closer each day to Serpent's Pointe, dire measures are being taken on board. By Normani's directions, they should be there sometime tomorrow—reaching a rather quick arrival so everyone has their fingers crossed for being first. So because of the rapidly upcoming arrival, Camila is sat on the bed performing little chores to help the crew.

She picks up a shirt, folding it over her arm, and then on itself once again. Carefully moving it to the pile of clothes she already has folded, she is slow to allow some rest to her arm. It's still warm and irritated, the skin around it red, bruised, and puffy still. But it's been getting easier and easier to adjust to it.

Despite that positive improvement, Camila is still slow at her task. She's been folding clothes for about an hour now, humming gently to herself while Lauren sits at the new table, scribbling down plan after plan. By how silent she's being, Camila can tell she's determined to make this attempt work.

Taking a pair of pants between her fingertips, she folds it over twice and then once again and adds it to the pile. Every time she lifts her arm and the skin around her cut moves, she grimaces with pain. But it's tolerable.

"Ugh!" Lauren groans from across the room, her head banging down against the table.

Speaking of tolerable...

"What's wrong?" Camila looks up from her work, eyes settling on a slumped over Lauren. She looks exhausted.

Lauren doesn't lift her head or even move, she simply exhales loudly. "I need to get my ship back. This is such a good chance, and I'm not going to fucking blow it."

Frowning, Camila furrows her eyebrows. She observes Lauren with careful eyes, recognizing the stress and general fatigue she's putting herself through. With the sound of gentle compression, Camila understands.

"Maybe it's time to take a break." Camila suggests, enjoying resting in this moment as well. Maybe they both need a break.

Now Lauren raises her head. "Camz! I can't! This has to be—" her eyes are wild and her hair is messy framing her face.

"It doesn't have to be perfect." Camila blinks slowly at her. With every fiber in her body, she's urging her just to step away from her work. She's been working this entire trip to Serpent's Pointe. "Come here."

Begrudgingly, Lauren tries to put up a fight, but Camila sticks her index finger out and points it down at the empty bed beside her. Finally, with a reluctant groan, Lauren pulls herself from the table and lays down beside Camila. They're only a foot or so apart—the beds are pushed rather close together.

Camila wears a soft smile, clearly pleased with the current arrangements. She goes to pick up another shirt when Lauren's hand rests suddenly on her forearm.

"If I'm taking a break, so are you." Lauren sends her a stern look, and while Camila would be someone to retort and continue working, she obliges anyway.

Careful not to knock over her hard work, Camila uncomfortably shifts herself so she's facing Lauren, sitting on the edge of Normani and Dinah's bed.

Lauren rolls herself over on her stomach, her legs waving in the air as she holds her head up in her hands. Her eyes are on Camila, and the gaze is enough to make Camila break eye contact.

"What?" Lauren asks, tilting her head when Camila doesn't look back. She crawls up on her knees, scooting forward to be closer to her.

Well aware of their proximity, Camila feels her face becoming warm. Embarrassed by still not being able to meet Lauren's gaze, Camila bites her bottom lip.

"You make me nervous." She admits quietly. Soft hands with rough skin from years of sailing the seas close over her own.

"You make me nervous." Lauren laughs, and the noise is enough snap Camila's eyes back to hers. "You were okay a couple days ago when we were out on the deck. I felt like a mess, though."