Perfecting the Plot

"I promise to share a bond with you that no one else has."

~*~

An unusual fog rolled over the coast at night. Concealed within, a boat docked by the island. Two shadowy figures met briefly and then parted ways.

~*~

Back in your hotel room, your guard must be beginning to think you're crazy with all the times you call out "Hey, Seren?" with no response. It's been two weeks since you last interacted with her. Two more to go before Sinbad would close the deal on the island and you could return home.

You worry that Seren is mad at you about the engagement. If only initiating conversation through Zepar could be two-way. You also long to talk to a friend about the position you're in.

Somehow you ended up with two suitors in which your father had asked your opinion of. Although at this point, neither option was desirable: one a manipulative playboy; the other a narcissistic murderer. If only you could tell King Rashid to reject both of their proposals.

Your personal reasons would not be convincing enough. You'd have to find evidence that both would prove detrimental to Balbadd.

The morning grows late and it is time to be going out. You and your guard pass Sinbad on the stairs. He greets you but you look away with a huff as you descend. You try to not think about why he would be going up to his room at this hour when he should have business to conduct around town.

An official carriage waits outside in which you enter and sit across from Barbarossa.

"Good morning, Princess. I hope you are ready for today."

~*~

"What is Sinbad planning?" Barbarossa had asked back when the two of you were alone.

You hesitated for a moment. "There's something he wants to salvage from the facility on the island. He hopes to attain it during the demolition in a month."

"That indeed would be troublesome. Sounds like I should move up the date. Thank you for telling me."

~*~

You were only trying to get back at Sinbad, you did not mean to doom the villagers. Your intent was to break the deal so Sinbad wouldn't be offered the island and the facility could have remained as it was. At least you were able to keep up the guise that Sinbad hadn't told you any details and you were unaware of the dark secret hidden within. Plus having told Barbarossa, he personally invited you to witness it.

Now you stand beside him on the cliff overlooking the island along with his Four Heavenly Generals. The sea breeze chills you as you stare down at the building.

"Rotter! Verify the explosives are set and the premises vacated," Barbarossa orders.

The short general smiles big with his affirmation before summoning up a bunch of rats that scurry off. You find it an intriguing way to go about things.

"I hope you don't mind a little wait, Princess. Just a safety precaution."

"Of course. It would be a tragedy if anyone were to die in this demolition."

"Indeed," he sneers and places a hand on your shoulder. His other hand presents a remote in front of you, the workings of it were previously explained to you. "When it comes time, you may do the honors."

You stare at it, marveling at the modern technology that something so little was about to cause something very big. Would you be able to disable it? What were the chances of chucking it into the sea without the button on it being pressed? Then there'd have to be some believable excuse for your actions.