Episode 11: The Story Behind The Curtains

It was raining hard. Princess Ayuko gave birth to twins; Muniko and Minami. But frailing while giving birth, she died. Minami had a failing heart and everybody knew she wouldn't last long, and Muniko had a strong will to live longer.

After 6 months, the oracle foretold that a ruthless ruler would rule the land if he will have the crest of the Emperor of the north and south all at once. To prevent this from happening, the father of Princess Ayuko gave the crest to Muniko and had Shogun Kurogane to look after Muniko and never tell her that she was a royalty; and leave her blank of her true story. She was given the name 'Miyu'. But as she grew, she kept close with Minami until she died of heart failure in the age of nine. Muniko got sad, and never knew that Minami was her sister.

Until, the era of Tokugawa fell. She was 11 when it happened. Her foster father kept her safe and always had watched over her. Then, when Shogun Nobunaga was found the culprit of almost stealing the crests, he was banished as a Ronin. But little did they know, Nobunaga secretly built an army of himself and planned to assault both North and South. Shogun Kurogane was aware of this, so he had Muniko under heavy surveillance. Until one day, Nobunaga assaulted the North and killed Shogun Kurogane; but failed to retrieve the Northern crest when Muniko luckily escaped.

------------------------------

Kujiro

It's my fault she was captured. I'm a goddamn imbecile!

I covered my face with my hands sweating. They all looked at me dissapointingly. Kotaro was filled with anger as our eyes met.

"We cannot let situations go like this." Kenshin applied. "We musn't take harsh actions."

"I must save her!" Kotaro souted. "I can't let her suffer!! I'll kill Nobunaga myself either!!"

"No, we'll all go." Takano calmly suggested.

But I clenched my fist and stood up. "I'll go alone to atone for this! It is my grievous fault that she was taken away! I put the princess in danger and it was a shame! My honor as a guardian is disrupted."

They became silent.

"All right, you go." Kenshin confidently answered.

"Y-You can't-- H-He--" Kotaro stammered in disapprovement.

"Yep! It's better to leave it to him. The guy will be returning the girl back in no time. Ya know what what I'm saying." Rikuo bragged.

"Stop it!" Haru confronted.

"Generally speaking, the way of a warrior is resolute acceptance of death. And do not regret what you have done..."

"Who said that?" Hirotaro asked in the atmosphere aimlessly. In a sudden, Musashi is sitting behind Kenshin.

"Uncle!? Bu--" Kenshin frets.

"I know. It wasn't your wife." Musashi cuts him off.

He stands up and walk towards me. He stopped in front of me and towered in front of my sight. I tilted up to him and looked at his deep eyes...

"Honor doesn't exceed when it comes to protecting the ones you love." He said in a deep voice. The words echoed through my ears.

"Someone I... love?" I got frustrated. Love? Love?

"Yes... Someone you love." He repeated, and drew out my sword slowly unsheating it in front of me. I saw my reflection. And for the moment, I was motivated to do something I've never done before. I felt the burdens of being a cold-hearted constable no more on my shoulders.

"I'll protect her." I said like a solid man. I respectfully received my sword from him and I was determined to start.

--------------------------------

Miyu

"Aaaaahh! Kyaa!" I screamed in feeling horrible pain from his powerful whips and torture.

"How come you cannot remember?!" Nobunaga said loudly like a thunder.

"My father never told me of such things!" I shouted back.

"You mean your 'foster father'!" He corrected.

"But..." I proclaimed in a shaking yet brave voice. "B-But you see... My friends will never forgive you... They'll come; you'll see." I bragged.

He instantly held me up, holding my neck tightly, and tried to choke me out of air with his old ugly fingers. I tried to get his hands off. He stared maliciously at me.

"Give me... the crest." He ordered in a low, angry voice.

"I-It's n-not with me!" I answered back, barely smiling wickedly at him.

He threw me away against the furniture. I tried to get up, and spitted a small quarter of blood.

The storm raged strongly in a sudden. Lightning flashed quickly in the window when suddenly, a sentry barged in the room.

"Milord! A group of assassins are in the front courtyard!!"

I smiled wide as soon as I heard the report. Kujiro... Everyone... They came!! They came to save me at last!! And then, the thought of being saved greatly relieved me.

"Release the hounds!" He ordered the sentry.

"Yes, sir!" The sentry dashed off.

Then, Nobunaga turned to me. "Apparently, your friends won't make it alive through my own 'breed' of monsters, Your Highness..."

I looked down on my bloody hands.

They'll be alright... I believe them...

I believe in Kujiro... He'll save me...

-----------------------------------

Kujiro

We walked through the courtyard, not minding the storm's chill that press against our skin. But without hesitation, Musashi came along. We were about to break down the defense army ahead of us when suddenly, the eight notorious criminals on our city jumped in front of us.

"Nine of us, eight of them." Rikuo counted.

"In battle, if you make your opponent flinch, you have already won." Musashi philosophied the situation.

"Uncle is right." Kenshin grinned and they started bringing out their weapons. "Seek victory, not fairness."

"Go save her, Kujiro. We'll take care of this!" Kotaro suggested.

Of course, I hesitated to the ridiculous idea.

"No! I-ll--"

"Go ahead, you mutt!!" He angrily ordered me. "If you dawdle, you'll never save her! Besides, we've got the greatest monster on our side! Don't worry, we'll see you in one piece and so we will be the same when you see us!"

I was moved and smiled to Kotaro, promising. "I swear I'll get her back!"

As I dashed, they all started to brawl.

Please be careful... I swear I'll get the princess back alive!! I won't hold back, no matter what!! I won't hold back to the one I love!