Episode 12: The Rise of the Greatest Empress

Long, strong waters carry the goddess

Might as she try, such resistance of fate is futile

No more battle against the waves

Deeply and farther she went; down to the false colors

Ending to the streams of death

-----------------------------------

"Please... Stop this madness..." Tears ran down my cheeks as I begged him to stop hurting my friends.

As I looked at the window while being held in my neck with force, I saw them struggling to take down the eight notorious criminals hired by Nobunaga. Even Musashi, the land's greatest swordsman, got his hands full against such vast number of soldiers. Kujiro is trying hard to save me from Nobunaga's hands.

Then everything felt suddenly blur.

M-Mother? Mother, is that you?

It's me, child... Come rest in my lap... You'll be alright...

Suddenly, I felt my mather's warmth. I saw only a bright light with her hands trying to reach me.

Muniko... Muniko...

"Muniko!!" I heared the voice call out. It was Kujiro.

I felt awake and tried to find him below. But as I saw the others struggling to fight and heared Nobunaga's wicked laugh, I clenched my fist and closed my eyes. I heared Kujiro's concerned voice.

"Muniko! Hang in there! I'll save you!"

Save me?

He cannot save you anymore, child. Come with me in heaven...

Mother, I--

Come with me...

I-I...

"I won't come with you, Mother!!" I uttered loudly. "Although you are my foster mom who took care of me, I cannot thank you enough for being there when my real mom died! And Shogun Kurogane, I am in your debt for protecting me! But... as the Emperor, my real father had spoken to me, 'Live for your loved ones; not die for them!"

Nobunaga was struck surprised when he heared me speak to myself. I stood up against his will and proclaimed, "I am the one and only Princess Muniko! And I dare to live for people who protected me for so long!"

"What the hell are you shouting sense about?" Nobunaga confronted.

Without thinking, I jumped out of the window. I trusted that Kujiro would catch me.

He dashed towards me and jumped high; catching me like a great hero. Then we landed instantly in a room. "Kujiro!" I happily embraced him.

"P-Princess! I-I'm sorry to have left you alone..." He apologized.

I grabbed the crest from him and kissed him on the cheek. He lets out a big blush. "I'm gonna borrow this!" I ran off on my way to the top floor's roof and left him alone paralyzed.

I realized what I had to do to stop this madness. I climbed to the roof and tried to lure Nobunaga.

"Nobunaga! This is what you wanted, right?" I shouted to him, showing the crest.

"Hand it over to me! You brat!" He spouted angry.

I smirked selfishly at him and showed him the other southern crest he currnetly collected. He confusingly touched his pockets and glared at me like a devil. "You impudent royalty!!"

"I can make all the tables turn, Nobunaga." I smiled like a joker. But unexpectingly, Nobunaga's soldiers bowed down to me. "H-Huh?"

Kujiro climbed the rooftop as well. As soon as he saw me holding the southern and northen crests, he bowed down to me. "Your Highness..."

"She had them now... The South and North are finally united by a young Empress..." Kenshin said with awe. He suddenly bowed down low. And so, my other friends did. The storm suddenly sprayed stronger and thunderbolts followed.

"H-How dare you bow down to her!! Seize the crest!!" Nobunaga ordered fiercely.

None of them moved.

O-Of course... I have the crests now... So does that mean...?

I saw how the enemies bowed down trembling before me. And just then, I realized my own power as a ruler with responsibilities. I felt the strong winds pass through my tattered clothes.

I am the Empress.

I looked upon Nobunaga with no emotion. I wore the two crests and turned to Kujiro.

"Kujiro, eliminate."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

And so, he killed Nobunaga with no exception.

I released a heavy burden in my chest and felt light. I tilted up in the sky and watched the storm come to a stop. It was morning already. Feeling tired, I collapsed down.

"Princess!"

----------------------------------

*Yawn*

I woke up and found myself in a beautiful room, lying down in a beautiful bed, with a beautiful dog barking and licking my face. I giggled and tried to get up. Excruciating pain suddenly made me twitch. I looked around and saw Kujiro lying on the floor... as usual when we first met. He wasn't sleep-talking anymore like every night when we share his room together. I always told him he wasn't because I might offend him. I looked at him closer and saw his childish behavior when he's sleeping. Just like an adorable child.

He suddenly woke up.

"Princess!" He hurriedly stood up and bowed down. "M-My apologies!"

"Oh! Come on! Where's the strict constable Kujiro I used to know and love?" I teased playfully to him.

"E-Err... I-I--" He stammered and let out a big blush.

The whole gang, along with Musashi, came inside my room and bowed down. "Good morning, Your Empress." They greeted cheerfully.

"Good morning, guys. Can you please sit down with me?' I invited them.

They sat down and waited for me to talk.

"Uhhmmm... Where am I?" I asked.

"You're back home. We brought you back home since you collapsed yesterday morning." Haru answered.

"So I've been asleep for one whole day?" I struck with amazement of how much I could sleep. "I must have put a big burden to you guys! I'm sorry!"

"No, no. It's okay." Kotaro insisted.

"But--"

"What is it, Your Highness?" Hirotaro asked with a concerned, priestly voice.

"But I don't want to abandon you guys." I sadly answered.

They all became silent.

"The truth is... I never wanted any of this to happen! I might be Muniko Edo but-- I don't want to leave Miyu behind. I-I don't want to change! I want to be with you guys!" I hugged them tightly.

"Princess--"

"No! I want to be Miyu!!" I snapped back.

I started crying like a little girl.

I want to be Miyu. The Miyu who joined a band of assassins and who shared laugh with them; who accompanied them as their little girl; who loved Kujiro so much and wanted to tell him how I feel; and the very girl who tried to find its own course!