The Test Shots

Chapter 5

"Yes, Mr Santiago, the email address we sent you is just fine."

Naomi rolled her eyes as she continued to argue with Fernando on the phone. I held in my laughter as she gestured a gun to her head and fired.

You had to hand it to him. The guy was persistent for another job.

"Yes we understand that you are free anytime to do another shoot for Miss Grant. We will most definitely call you if we require your services."

Fernando must've been satisfied with her answer as the call soon ended after that.

"You really don't pay me enough," Naomi groaned and flopped onto the white leather sofa with me.

It had been a week since the coffee shop incident and I hadn't seen nor heard from either Caleb or Veronica.

Yet they were both on my mind every single day.

Naomi and I were hanging out at my place, going through concert schedules and future auditions. We were also waiting for a certain phone call that was bound to come at any moment.

After a few hours of waiting however, we started to doubt that today would be the day.

"Hey, how would you feel doing an interview on the Tonight Show?"

"Sure," I agreed absently.

My mind was still buzzing with the anticipation of the call that would tell me if I got the biggest role of my life... Or not.

I shuffled through some papers on the glass coffee table in front us as Naomi continued to shoot suggestions at me.

"What about the Ellen Show?"

"Sounds great." Shuffle.

"Jimmy Kimmel?"

"Yeah." Shuffle.

"Conan?"

"Mhmm." More shuffling.

"I'm also thinking of having your next concert on the moon and I'll have you wearing a goth clown outfit with dancing blue chihuahuas in the background."

I was about to give another vague answer since I hadn't listened to what Naomi had said, when my phone bleeped.

Snatching it out of my bag with a ferocity that even surprised myself, I stared at the glowing screen.

You have one new text message.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm sensing that you're not actually listening to what I'm saying - Naomi :)

"Not funny!" I whined, throwing my phone down.

"It kinda is," she snickered, grabbing my phone off the floor and putting it back in my hand. "And stop randomly shuffling through my papers. You'll mess them all up."

I huffed in annoyance and glared at my phone screen, thinking that if I did so long enough, it would ring.

Needless to say, it didn't ring.

It had been such a stressful week, worrying about Veronica and Caleb on top of all my usual business. Add the nerves about getting the movie role and I was a certified mess.

Then, an idea popped into my head.

"Hey, is there anything important going on today? If not, I was wondering if I could just take the rest of the day off. I'm not feeling too well."

Naomi's face softened as she finally registered my emotionally and physically drained state.

"Yeah sure Ri. It was just rehearsals today anyway. Nothing much. Go get some rest and tell me if you need anything, okay?"