·˚✎ ﹏Tsukishima Kei x Reader

the best thing i ever did
↳ genre: angst , a bit of fluff?
↳ warning/s: death, possibly ooc tsukki
↳ written: 10/28/20
↳ published: 10/28/20
↳ a/n: oh nothin' just author-sama killing y/n

╭─────────── •

With you, Tsukishima learned to cherish every moment in life, as cliche as it sounds, he appreciates it.

He didn't expect you to come back, only to wither away slowly with the forget-me-nots he gave you.

He wasn't supposed to love you this much either, he promised that to you and himself, because loving you would only end up hurting his already wounded heart.

But he failed, choosing the road of loving you before your time ends from not loving you in fear of hurting himself even more.

So when he made that decision, he made sure to spend it as perfect as possible, focusing on your happiness rather than his, sacrificing himself to re-give the joy you had given him years back.

He took you to the places you liked, gave you the things you wanted because if only he could, he would give you a few more years you (he) needed as well.

He would never forget the bittersweet feeling that bloomed on the pit of his stomach whenever you smiled, he was gonna treasure this smile before it flashed before his eyes.

He isn't the sweetest guy yet you always managed to see the best of him, as much as he would like to deny it, he wasn't ready to lose you to the world since you were his.

Just seeing the mere sight of you or the disembodied sound of your modulated voice brought him peace, and the topic of your nearing passing always made his voice brittle or taut.

He didn't want the red ominous clouds to fill your head like it was the only thing that mattered, that's why he tried his best to distract you for your own demise.

Tsukki did everything to distract you, even caused you both to adopt a 8 year old bundle of joy that saw you both as parents.

All those led him here, from your own request, he was the only one allowed to see you pass, you spent years away from him ever since you moved so you wanted to spend your last few moments with him.

You and him cuddled on the hospital bed, you were brought into this world on it and you would slowly die on it as well.

You both talked like none of this was happening, you both weren't shielding yourselves from reality but only distracting each other from it as you stared at the large window, snow was filling the city of Sendai.

It was christmas, such a wonderful day to meet your demise right?

Your laughter and Kei's usual saltiness was filling the dull hospital room.

"You know Kei.. I never thought you'd still be playing volleyball today .."

"It's just a hobby!" He argued, blushing.

"Continue it.. do it for me, please?" Your voice brittled, tears trickled down from your e/c orbs that held so much life at this moment of death.

When you said that, he knew the time finally came and in fear of his own words failing him he nodded, not noticing the single tear from his eyes that you wiped away.

He should be telling you to fight but you already did, it's better for you to finally rest than die much morbid death.

"Kei.. I just wanted you to know that this is the best thing I ever did." You confessed, smiling.

"Me too.." He muttered, noticing how tired you already looked.

"I hope you take good care of yourself.. I'm leaving physically but I will always be here as cliche as it sounds, K-kei.. I love you.. " you said while quivering.

He slowly moved closer until both your lips met, he pulled back even though he wanted that moment to stay.

"Thank you for spending time with me."

"I owe it to you.. thank you for loving me as well.." you said as you lay your head down, eyes exhausted.

He held your hand, that was the best thing he could do.

"I love you so much, Kei.." you smile, eyes half lid.

"I love you more.." He replied as he felt you let go of his hand and now finally, fell into your never ending slumber.

The tears just fell from his eyes, still holding your hand he kissed it, sobbing the tears he had been holding back as doctors and nurses came to check on you.

You were done playing your role, you were gone from the planet called earth yet never gone from his mind and heart, you and the things you've done will always live on.

All the heartbreak he's feeling aside, this was the best thing he ever did, and like any best thing, it ended but will never be forgotten.

╰─────────────── •