chapter one. dahlia

Hollywood
March 1995

After playing Now or Never the two lead singers of Sunset Curve, Dahlia and Luke, and the rest of the band all smile and laugh.

"Yeah!" a girl says as the group looks at the few people at the rehearsal.

"Thank you! We're Sunset Curve! Tell your friends!" Reggie says over the mic.

"Too bad we wasted the tightest we've played on the soundcheck." Bobby speaks up.

"We can always be better Bobby," Dahlia says looking at the boy. "Wait until tonight, guys, when this place gets packed with record execs," Luke says looking at the empty audience. "Alex, you were smoking," Reggie says looking at the blonde. "Oh, no. I was just-" Alex says before Dahlia cuts him off. "No, you were on fire babe," Dahlia says hugging him from the back.

"All right, I was killing it," Alex takes the praise, smiling as Dahlia lets him go. "OK, well, I'm thinking we fuel up before the show. I'm thinking street dogs." Luke says as the three nod and say 'yes' before they walk up to the waitress. "I'm good. Vegetarian. I could never hurt an animal." Bobby says looking at the girl. "Me too. those poor things" Dahlia says looking at the girl. "You guys are really good," the girl says looking at the band.

"Thank you," they all say at the same time. "I see a lot of bands. Been in a couple myself. I was really feeling it." she explains. "That's what we do this for. I'm Luke, by the way," Luke says introducing himself. "Hi, im Reggie" "Alex" "Bobby" "And I'm Dahlia. And here's a dahlia so you won't forget me." Dahlia says handing the girl a dahlia flower.

"Where'd you even get that?" Reggie asks confused but Dahlia just pats him on the shoulder, placing a finger over her lips. "Thanks. Nice meeting you guys. I'm Rose." The girl, Rose, says with a smile. "Here's our demo. And a t-shirt. Size beautiful." Reggie says handing Rose the demo and shirt. "And I thought I was the smooth talker," Dahlia says looking at the boy. "Thanks" Rose replies. "I'll make sure not to wipe the tables down with this one," Rose says placing the shirt over her shoulder. "Oh, good call. Whenever they get wet, they just kinda fall apart in your hands." Alex explains.

"Don't you guys have to get hot dogs?" Bobby asks looking at the group. "I've decided im vegan now. Why don't you go and I'll keep Rose company." Dahlia says as Luke picks her up with ease before throwing her over his shoulder as she hits his back, trying to look cool in the whole kidnapping process. "Not a chance," he says before the group walks away.

"That's what im talking about!" Luke says when they walk out of the building, Reggie chuckling on the walk. "What? The smell of the dirty alley?" Dahlia asks as Luke puts her down, patting her hair flat again. "No. It's what that girl said in there—," Luke says before Dahlia cuts him off. "Who I was talking to by the way," she says as Luke laughs.

"You're quite a bitch," Dahlia says as Luke smiles at her. "Thanks sweetheart," Luke says as she flips him off but he gets her hack when he tries to bite off her finger.

After handing out a few t-shirts the group gets street dogs. "Man, I can't wait to eat someplace where the condiments aren't served out of the back of an Oldsmobile." Alex complains.

"Don't complain Alex. It's bad for your health," Dahlia speaks up before the group walks into their studio sitting down on their couch.

"These street dogs are bad for my health.*

"Oh, stop complaining. This is awesome, you guys. We're playing The Orpheum! I can't even count how many bands have played here and then ended up being huge. We're going to be legends!" Luke says looking at the group.

"Eat up boys! Cause after tonight everything changes" he adds before they all start eating their street dogs. "This is a new flavor," Alex says looking at the group.

"Chill, man. Street dogs haven't killed us yet" Reggie says before five minutes later an ambulance drives off with four dead bodies.