Chapter 11 - Act Positive

As I clocked out, I realized I hadn't given myself any time to run home.

There was no uniform at the book store, so changing wasn't needed.

But I wouldn't be able to tell Beetlejuice.

Although, it seemed as though I wouldn't need to run home, as he had a way of barging into my life without warning.

"What's shakin, bacon?" He said, as I opened the door to the store.

"Jesus Christ!" I took a moment to catch my breath. "You startled me."

"Well that's obvious. So, ready to head home? I've got this perfect movie picked out. It's actually one I've seen before but I figure it'll still be funny."

I waited for him to finish before breaking the news to him. "Actually, I've got a date."

His face fell a little, the tips of his hair changing from green to blue. He shook the look off his face, but his hair remained unchanging. "Well that's alright. Like I said, I've seen the movie before, so it's fine."

"Sorry Beej." We stood in silence for a moment. After about a minute of awkward silence, Beetlejuice spoke.

"So, who's the guy? Or girl, I don't wanna assume. Is it Peyton?"

"No, Peyton and I are just friends. It's actually this guy I used to know in high school. He should be here any minute now if you wanna stick around."

"Woah, you're actually inviting me to stay?"

"Well you asked about him."

Beetlejuice stayed quiet as we waited. 1 minute turned to 5 minutes. 5 to 10. 10 to 30.

"He is coming right?" Beetlejuice asked, both of us slumped on the curb.

"Yes, Peter wouldn't just stand me up."

"Really? Cause it's starting to look that way."

The anger and hurt already inside me boiled a bit. Beej and I were friends, yes, but that didn't mean he got to talk shit about Peter. I had had feelings for Peter back in high school and figured they had disappeared when he did, but upon seeing him, those feelings came rushing back.

"He'll show up. No need to be a dick Beej."

I could see hurt cross Beej's face for a moment, but he quickly removed it from his face. He slumped into his hand, his hair turning ever so slightly red. "Bitch." I heard him whisper.

"What did you just call me?" I said, the anger from Peter brewing into this new problem.

"If you have to question me, you clearly heard what I said." He said.

"What the fuck Beej?!" I yelled. "I don't know why you're acting like this, but it's pissing me off more than I already am."

"Why should you be the one who's pissed off?" His hair was turning redder by the second. "I'm not the one who cancelled plans with a friend so they go blow some guy!"

We were now standing, stuck in a screaming match. "What the hell! An old friend is in town and I wanted to see him!" I said, anger still rising. I was pissed, but oh boy, could I be more pissy than I was now. Beetlejuice just had to keep screaming and we'd get there.

"Seems like much more than friend to me!" He said. "God! You're so incredibly insufferable, ya know that?"

"Me insufferable?! Look who's talking!" We were inches apart. I could see Beetlejuice glance at my lips for a fleeting before I continued. "You follow me around like a god damn puppy dog! I don't think I've barely had a moment to myself since you entered my life!" My face was burning hot, any anger I'd had from Peter now fully focused on Beetlejuice.

Hurt and anger was the only thing on Beetlejuice's face. I'd struck some sort of nerve, but I didn't care. "You want me to leave you alone!? Is that what you want?! Fine!" With that, he disappeared in a flash of green smoke.

I stood for a moment, dumbfounded. I didn't think he'd actually disappear.

Tears found their way to my eyes and slumped onto the curb. I pulled my knees up to my face. My breath was hot against my jeans as I sat on the curb and sobbed.

Instant regret filled my brain. The words I had said stuck in my mind, seemingly glued to every part of my brain. They repeated over and over. And Beetlejuice's reply played back like a record stuck in a loop.

Not only had I been stood up, I'd started a fight with one my very best friends.