Chapter 6 - You're On The Right Track, Girl!

BEEP! BEEP! BE-

I slammed my hand down on my alarm clock. "Ew." I rolled over, shutting my eyes once more. "Monday."

"It's not so bad babes."

"You're right." Wait.

My eyes shot open. Beetlejuice leaned against the wall smirking, which seemed to be the only thing he knew how to do.

I rolled back over to my alarm clock. "Ew."

"Yeah, yeah. You hate me. That's been established." I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Why are you even here?"

"I wanna go out."

"WHAT?!"

"Like outside." I sighed a breath of relief.

"Oh thank God." I stretched. "You're lucky I have to go back to the bookstore to turn in my application. Otherwise I'd say no."

"Sure you would."

"I would. And don't doubt it for a second." I said, throwing my covers off and my slippers on.

"I don't."

"Whatever." I wasn't about to play 'Guess What I'm Thinking featuring This Dumbass Demon!'

Barbara and Adam were waiting for me when I walked into the kitchen.

"Hey sweetie." Barbara's voice had a tone of nervousness to it.

"Hey guys. What's up?" I said, while pouring myself a cup of orange juice.

Adam looked around worriedly. "Is he here?" My face dropped.

"So you know."

"Yeah." Barbara said sadly.

"I'm sorry." My voice had gotten quiet.

"Aww kiddo, it's ok. You were curious that's all." Adam got down on my level and gave me a hug.

So they can touch me, but I can't touch them. Is that how this works?

"Just promise us you'll be careful." Barbara walked up behind Adam and he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Of course she's being careful Babs!" Beetlejuice's gravelly voice echoed through the air.

He suddenly appeared beside me, his arm slung over my shoulder.

Barbara and Adam's faces filled with worry. I shoved his arm off my shoulder. "Don't worry. I've got it under control."

"Alright." The Maitlands didn't seem to be so sure; it was clear that they didn't trust Beetlejuice.

"I'm gonna get dressed and then we'll head out, ok Beej?"

"You got it hot stuff."

"Alright then."

I changed into my clothes and hurried out into the foyer.

Beetlejuice was waiting for me outside on the porch. "Hurry it up!" He yelled at me as I struggled to put my boots on.

"I'm coming. I'm coming."

"That's what she said."

"Are you ever a decent person?" I asked, after locking the door.

"Nope."

"Great."

We began our walk to the town, chatting about nothing in particular until we reached the bookstore.