|17| 𝙸 𝚊𝚖 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚘𝚔𝚊𝚢 ✔︎

Harper stood alone in her bedroom. Her hair clung to her skin as a towel was wrapped around her body. Her hands gripped her table, knuckles turning white as she gripped the edges. She stared at herself, the person staring back at her wasn't Harper Phoenix. The person that stared back at her wasn't the girl who fought crime. She wasn't the girl who went to the ends of the world for her family. She wasn't the girl she was a few days ago. The girl that stared back at her was altered. Dark bags hung under her eyes, her face had hollowed out and she looked significantly paler. But the thing that was most noticable. The thing that left her scarred, was her eyes. Harper's once big, doe, bright brown eyes were now dull and lifeless. A shell of the girl she used to be.

Her eyes locked, her reflection mocking. The sound of Dick's screams as he called out her name played over, and over and over. The way her body flew with nothing to stop her sent shivers coursing through her body. The feeling of how she had accepted death so easily plagued her. That she was willing to give up everything she had even for a second.

She was weak. She was a failure.

She felt numb as the events of the previous night replayed on a loop. She wasn't a survivor, she was a coward.

Harper stood in the training room. Arms raised, her breath shaky. Her slick compact bow was grasped firmly in her hands, but by the way her hands trembled slightly she wasn't on her A-game.

Targets were lined out in front of her, arrows piling up around them. Not a single arrow reached its target.

Harper notched another, her hand gripping the arrow before she let it go. She watched as the arrow missed for the 20th time as it clanked to the ground. Her head lowering in defeat.

Dick entered the room as he watched her silently break. Her blood began to boil as the feeling of weakness and hopelessness seeped into her bones. In rage, she grabbed another arrow and notched it. Dick carefully approached her, not wanting to startle her. He placed a gentle hand on the tip of the arrow before slowly lowering her arm. She didn't even look at him.

" Are you okay?"

Was she. No, she wasn't. Was she going to tell him. She wasn't sure.

Harper nodded before raising her bow once more. Dick took it out of her hands before she could do anything. He turned her to face him, his eyes pleading with her to say something, anything.

" Harper" he spoke. She sighed as she looked into his concerned brown eyes. " I know you're not alright. Talk to me, please."

Harper scoffed as she took a step back. " What do you want me to say Dick. That I'm fine. Because no, I'm not. I'm far from it. I fell from a god damn building Dick. I was going to die, and you know and I know that if it wasn't for that oblivious boy who is lying in a bloody coma clinging to his life I would've been. So no Dick. I'm not okay."

Dick looked at the girl sadly. His heart breaking as he saw a tear escape her eye.

" I hate this feeling. I hate how I was so ready to die. That I was going to leave you all behind. Do you know how it felt. That death was waiting for you but you cheated it. It never ends well. It always comes back to bite you in the ass. And I loathe that I can't do anything about it. " she hissed as tears poured down her face.

Dick approached her slowly. He pulled the shaking girl into his chest, his arms acting as a safety net, a blanket trying to shield her from the tortures swarming her. His arms tightened around her body as she fisted his shirt in her hands. Her tears soaking the material, but neither cared.

" I'm so sorry Harper." He whispered. Harper's cries causing his own set of tears to pour down his face and into her hair.

" I'm so sorry."