Chapter 3 : Bad Dreams

"Sirius," someone was calling me. "Sirius, I am here," I tried to look everywhere but it was too dark for me to be able to see anything. "Sirius, I am right here you just need to look. You just need to remember," I turned around and saw a lake. It was freezing there. Someone was in the water but I couldn't make out who it was? I was standing too far away. I went near the lake and saw Selena, her silver open hair, flying in the wind like threads of moonlight. She was submerged in the water till her waist.

"Selena?" I called. "What are you doing in the water? It's cold. Come out from there."

"Sirius. It's not cold. I am burning. It's so painful. I can't come out," she said with teary eyes.

"What?! You are burning? Wait I am coming to get you. Don't worry it will be all right," said I, worried. It was freezing. How could she burn in the cold icy water?!

I tried to get into the lake but couldn't. Some invisible force knocked me over whenever I tried to put my legs into the water. I looked at Selena helplessly. The moon was shining on her like a spotlight. It looked like she was freezing. Her face and lips were turning blue and she appeared to be shivering out of cold. The water around her waist made small circles which grew bigger as they went away from her. The lake was frozen around the edges. But she kept on saying that she was burning.

"No Sirius. You are doing it wrong. You can't get in like that," said Selena through clattering teeth.

"What do you mean? How can I get in?" I asked.

"Lift today's veil off your mind, remember beyond tomorrow and burn yourself to light up your core. That is how you will get in to save me," she said.

Her voice echoed in my ears and suddenly the freezing water of the lake began to burn in orange, red and yellow flames. In between those flames was Selena. The water now looked like black tar. And she was stuck inside calling me. I was too shocked to do anything. Neither could I go in there nor could I stand there and watch her burn. All I could do was shout out her name.

____

"Selenaaaa...," Sirius shouted out her name and sat up on his bed. He was drenched in sweat. His night t-shirt plastered to his body. He looked around confused of where he was. Slowly, he realized he was in his room and all that was a bad dream. The alarm clock displayed 4:00 in the morning. He opened the window by his bed. A cold breeze came in, making his sweaty body shiver. The room was boiling up until he opened up the window. The horizon was orange-pink and the sky was inky blue. It was almost dawn. The sun slowly rising on the eastern sky.

Sirius thought about Selena. Lately that was all he has been thinking about. After his weird yet real in every way confession outside the cafeteria he had hoped he and Selena would get closer. But the next day she had started to ignore him like he wasn't there at all. She wouldn't even talk to him.

'Ofcourse I scared her away or she thinks I am crazy or something,' thought Sirius.

It's been 3 days since she has started to ignore him. But he was determined that today he would talk to her and try to know if she was gonna come to Shawn's party tonight. She surely couldn't run away from him or make an excuse to get to class at a party.

Sirius couldn't sleep after that dream. He began to revise his plan to get to talk to Selena. In this last three days he with the help of Matt, Shawn, Theo, Ethan and Rayan, had dug out every details there was to dig about Selena Whitlock. From her schools routine (which Sirius had memorized by now) to her address. He also got to know about those four people who sat with her during lunch. The oldest guy is her elder brother Orion Whitlock. He was in the 12th grade. The girl is her sister Taura Whitlock and the twins are her cousins Altair and Archer Whitlock. They were in the same grade as he and Selena were, 11th grade. The five of them lived with Selena's mother and her mother's sister, Selena's aunt. They lived almost at the edge of the town near Ethan and Shawn's house. He learned that she was adopted just like Sirius was.

Sirius was adopted when he was one year old by his two dads Liam Hubert and Dhruv Malik. His biological parents were Liam's younger brother John Hubert and sister-in-law Livy Hubert. They died in a car crash just outside the town along with Sirius' elder sister Serah Hubert, who was 6 years old at that time. Baby Sirius was home with Liam when the news came. Liam was seeing Dhruv at that time. After a few years when Dhruv's orthodox parents disowned him for being a gay man he left everything behind and married Liam.

Sirius always wondered how it felt to have an elder sister, to play with her, to have her protect you from the bullies in the playground, to have her cheer for you in the football games. Maybe she could have also liked sports like him. Maybe they could have practiced together. He had always felt like something was missing in his life. He had assumed that it was his elder sister Serah. But when he saw Selena that feeling always disappeared. As if he had everything he ever needed.