Epilogue: Water and Ice

'We really have to go now.' Trace said again.

'Where are we going?' Jules asked. Their fingers were intertwined and when Jules looked up, you could see adoration in both of their eyes. Once again – I told you so: these two were so cute together!

Although up until now, Trace responded with a vague mutter whenever Jules asked this –while making us even more curious because of the excited glimmer in his eyes–,I think the excitement got the best of him now because he actually answered.

'You remember how mad you were when you first met the Golden Path pack and, I believe you said, they "bought your backyard"?' Jules slowly nodded, not quite understanding where this was going, while I thought I did and looked at Jay –who was standing next to me– in surprise. He smiled back at me and nodded. 

I looked back at Trace, who proceeded explaining: 'Well, I'm going to discuss with Alpha Chris, his Beta Jayden,' he nodded to Jay slightly, 'and Delta Dylan – or was it Gamma now? Anyway, I'm gonna discuss if they could make the area available for everyone, or give us permission to pass through, so you don't have to watch your step.' Trace finished smiling brightly. With every word he had said, Jules's face had lit up more and more. By the end of his sentence, she squealed happily and flung her arms around Trace's neck. I smiled at the scene. That was so considerate of him.

'I helped too.' Jay told me, smiling mischievously.

I just pet his head. 'Good boy.'

Jay pouted at me, looking adorable as he did so. 'How come Trace gets a bone-crushing hug and all I get is a pet on the head?'

Jules still had her arms around Trace's neck, but they did have their own space already. 'She's not a cuddly-person.' I shook my head at Jules's words. I really wasn't. Besides, we've been over this already! 'But she's making progress.' Jules added with a wink. I glared at her. Okay, yes, I might have hugged Jay more than Jules if you compare it, and I might hug Jules sooner too, but... No I'm out of words.

'Anyway,' Jules turned back to Trace, 'can we come?'

'No.' Trace answered curtly. He had this 'don't-argue-with-me' look, but he was stuck with Jules. Tough luck. I turned to Jay. 'Can we?'

He remained silent for a while, but then also said no.

Jules and I looked at each other at the same time.

'Puppy eyes?' Jules asked through mind link.

'Puppy eyes.' I confirmed. Jules turned back to Trace, and I turned back to Jay.

'Please...?' Jules asked with big, slightly teary eyes and a pout. I tried my best to follow her lead and –for once– actually look cute like a puppy. It remained silent, so I guess Jules was being pretty cute and Trace was close to letting her come. I could see Jay was cracking as well, but then Chris had to open the door to his office and ask where Trace and Jay were, freeing them from our stares.

'Sorry Little One.' Trace said, ruffling Juliet's hair. And yes, I might have taught him that.

'I'll see you after, okay?' Jay asked me, smiling, while he took one of my hands in his. I bit my lip and looked up at Jay through my lashes, whispering "okay". I could see in Jay's eyes that he was about to say I could come –he even opened his mouth to do so– but Trace foresaw and pulled Jay along yelling "it's a trap!" which seemed to snap Jay out of it.

'Dammit Trace, he was gonna say I could join him!' I called after him, trying hard not to burst out laughing.

'That's why I pulled him along!' Trace defended, and closed the door behind him and Jay.