Chapter5: Cupid's games

'They say they have lots of jobs within their pack, and that their land is very big, which is not entirely true because it's mine. Not theirs, mine.' The next morning, Jules was full of energy again and told me more about what she discovered about the Golden Path pack. But now, Jules was being 'grumpy', and still not over the land the Golden Path pack bought.
'I know you think it's yours, but...'
'It's technically not mine, but the neighborhood takes care of everything, so it most definitely doesn't belong to Golden Path pack.' Jules interrupted me. I can't talk any sense into this girl, so I just sighed and petted Jules's head. She slapped my hand and glared at me, obviously still upset. But what can I do? I can't magically make the land hers or something. But she can talk to Alpha, and maybe he can do something. He has to know about this anyway.
'Calm down Jules. We'll talk to Alpha about this, and you should talk about this with your mom as well. What does Alpha think of this?'
'I know what mom will say:...' Jules put up a high, nagging voice which totally did not sound like her mom; '... You shouldn't worry about it. Just do your homework and have fun.' I "hmmm"-ed a little, and then saw the spark in her eyes. Oh I recognized that spark.
'No. No Jules. You're not going to invest this on your own.' I knew Jules, and she would do exactly that if I didn't watch her. 'We'll discuss this with Alpha. Now.' I waited for Jules to stand up. I think it would be awkward if I was the one that stood up first, so I'll have to interrupt the group and do the talking to Alpha, and Jules might actually not say a thing and then I'll be embarrassed. I can't make her say it. She'll have to do that herself.
But when Jules put her earplug in, I got annoyed. I pulled it out again and gave her my 'I'm serious' look. I guess I gave it to her too often. She didn't do anything with it, and I got even more annoyed with her. So I pulled her up by her upper arm; 'Juliet Penelope Hunt. Now.'
'Okay okay!' Finally, Jules walked to the spot where Alpha was. With her hands up like I was some kind of cop who just arrested her. Great.
When we reached them, we both just waited until they noticed us. I guess Jules didn't want to interrupt them either. Jules waited with her head lowered a little, waiting until they noticed us.
'Uhm... I have some information about the Golden Path pack that I had to share with you because Lexi said so and I do not agree because I can solve this problem on my own but she pinched my arm and that hurt so I walked along and now I'm here.' Jules quickly threw out. Our pack snickered and Jules looked at me with the same glare she had before. That. Was so. Embarrassing. Thanks a lot Jules. But I shrugged it off. Jules didn't even notice my embarrassment, and neither did anyone else, so why should I still be bothered by it?
Alpha stood up and mentioned for Helmet to follow, and walked away. Jules and I followed them into a small classroom where Alpha locked the door behind us. I stood next to Jules, who looked slightly panicked. Was it because he locked the door?
'Well... So...' Helmet looked at Jules and smirked. In that special arrogant-Helmet-kind of way. Why does he always act to tough? To get Alpha's approval? To make Lyla fall for him? Well they already like each other, so if they just realized it. But although he sometimes acted so arrogant, I knew he could be nice. I experienced it like... Okay maybe just once, but I don't speak to him that often. I just did some projects with him, and he was kind of nice back then.
'I googled a bit and uhm...'
'Just spit it out, Juliet.' I watched Jules as she looked up a little and bit her bottom lip before she said what she had to say; 'The Golden Path pack has its own website. At first it seemed like it was just advertisement, but if you're a member of the pack, you can login and get to the agenda.' I waited for Jules to tell the rest with my arms crossed -I didn't know what else to do with them- but she remained silent.
'Jules, you should tell them everything.'
'But-...'
'Juliet?' I gave her the 'I'm serious' look once again, and only hoped this would actually work.
I guess I was lucky, since Jules continued; 'On their site they, well, mention that they are interested in all kinds of technologies. Their pack is big, but very young. They also say their property is one of the bigger ones in the country but that's not true because...'
'We know that part.' Alpha interrupted. But Helmet didn't, so he looked pretty confused right now.
'Nothing else!' Jules said, moving from heel to toe and back, trying to look innocent although she looked exactly like what was going on; she wanted to look innocent, but she knew more.
I don't know what happened, but Jules shivered, closed her eyes and told Alpha the rest; 'They have jobs open for scientists who are interested in anything that has something to do with genes and blood types. I think?' I looked from Jules to Alpha, to Jules again, and back to Alpha. What did he do? I think I'm missing something here.
'Thank you. I'll discuss this with...'
'N-no!' Jules stumbled forward and looked like she would fall, but she didn't, and composed herself; 'I mean... Rather not.'
'Why not?' Alpha asked her in return.
'Because I... am Detective Hunt?' I snorted. Was she serious? Oh how I hoped Alpha would realize she shouldn't do this on her own. 'Please Alpha Trace, I want to do this myself!'
'I'll have to think about that. And that nickname because it doesn't make any sense...' Jules blew up her cheeks and I couldn't help myself; I poked them, grinning. And then I remembered Alpha Trace and Beta Helmet were here. Just perfect. I can't seem to stop embarrassing myself today.
Jules left the classroom and I followed her.
'And listen, to your Alpha.' I turned around at hearing that to see what was going on, and saw Trace was standing really close to a blushing Jules. Good for you Trace. But I turned around. None of my business... Although I felt quite uncomfortable now. This was something between Jules and Trace -and I knew what it meant- and I shouldn't listen in. Why did Jules have to be so stubborn and bad in catching details?
Jules joined me again a little later and we walked to the rest of our friends.
'Hey, Lexi?' I turned around to see Beta Helmet.
'Yeah?'
'Remember yesterday? The fight?' What about it? Jules looked from me to Helmet with a confused look, which turned even more confused when Helmet continued; 'That's not your job. Don't do things you're not supposed to do.' My mind went all over the place. Why would he say that? Did he decide to say that himself or did Alpha tell him to tell me? He wouldn't right?
'I'm going to hurt him...' I heard Jules. Oh no, she will most definitely not do that. Not because of me.
'Jules? You can't, Porcelain, remember?' I just told her that in case, but I knew she actually wouldn't do something like that. She's not a violent person. I'm the violent one from us.
'See ya.' Helmet turned around, his hand in his pockets, and walked away casually, back to his group of friends.
'That was weird, as in a negative weird.'
'Really weird.' Jules agreed with me.
Maybe he said it because I shouldn't have fought with the vampire? But I was protecting Jules. And myself. It was self-defense; he attacked me. I was allowed. I couldn't just stand there and let him beat the crap out of me while waiting for Alpha Trace to safe me, now could I? It didn't make any sense! But maybe I did give both Trace and Garret a lot of extra work to do, while I probably could've solved it in a more peaceful way.
'Oh well.' I shrugged. It didn't matter what Helmet thought right? I solved it like I did, and I can't turn it back. Although I still don't agree with him.
'No! No, we're going to do something about that. He was acting like a jerk.' Jules pouted and crossed her arms over her chest as I turned back to her. I appreciated her concern, and whenever there is a fight in our group, she's the one to solve it. Or at least make it fair. And I like that about her, but not now. I didn't want her to interfere. I can take care of this myself.
'Jules? Could you please calm down?' She was still fuming, and I didn't like to see her like this. To trouble her like this. She has enough to worry about without my problems.
'I'm going to tell Alpha Trace about this. He shouldn't say things like that!' That comment fell a little different than it was supposed to.
'If someone's going to tell him, then I am, not you.' I told her, a little less calm than I was before. Sometimes, she's too stubborn, and it's quite annoying. It's like this; she says she'll fix it, without giving me the chance to do it myself. Like I can't take care of myself.
The bell rang and we walked to class. I was still thinking about what just happened. Did I cause Trace and Garret trouble? I'd feel guilty if I didn't do it because I protected Jules.
Jules asked me something, and I answered with a 'hmmhmm' because I was annoyed by her pushiness just a while ago, but I didn't want to ignore her or be mean to her. But I think she didn't hear me because she muttered 'fine, ignore me' and walked back to Momo, Chess and Robin, who were walking a little behind us. I told her I wasn't ignoring her, but she didn't listen and continued anyway. Normally, I would've chased after her, but I was kind of at the edge so I joined Adrien and Rose and walked with them. I felt guilty about leaving Jules behind, but I continued walking anyway. We were going to work on a project again, and I was working with Momo and Jules. We went to our usual table and went to work. It was just normal, and Jules was even very nice and happy to me, as if she was trying to make it up to me. And I was more than happy to, so I returned her happy actions with happy actions. Maybe as a reward? But most definitely just because I preferred it like this.