3

After he said his goodbyes to his old friend and wished him luck on his shift, Soloman stepped out into the doorstep of the pizzeria, balancing seven pizzas in his grip. 

"...I'm so late." he cursed into the air as he gallopped down the steps and jogged to his car, placing the pizzas on the roof. He took a deep breath and opened the door of the passenger's seat, when he saw a silhouette sneaking across the street out of the corner of his eye. He turned around as quickly as he grabbed his heavy flashlight.

"Who's there?!" he yelled out into the darkness, echoing on. His hot breath was turning into white smoke in the contrast of the black night. Waiting for an answer this time around, he stood there, the flashlight tight in his grip, ready to swing at anybody who would step forward and reveal themselves to be up to no good.

But nothing came. The same silence lay over the street once again. He grunted angrily, pulling the passenger's door open with force and finally put the pizzas in.
"I'm getting tired of this." he said as he walked around and got into the driver's seat, locking all doors from the inside. He exhaled and took another look at his watch. It was now 11PM. He'd have to be begging the kids for forgiveness by now.

"Late, late, late." he said to himself as he started the engine and took off, his back lights illuminating the every meter he left behind.
In the middle of his drive he remembered what Gallaghee had told him and turned on the radio, just in time.

"New updates on the escape of the St.Barbara Butcher of 1960 from Upstate Jail since this morning, 12AM:"
He drove faster, turning up the volume. "Since his escape this morning from the Upstate Jail, 3 victims' bodies have been found in an abandoned car on the highway to St.Barabara. Police units have since then closed all entries and exits of the town and all towns surrounding it. Police say no citizens have witnessed a suspicious man in white clothing, nor have there been any witnesses from the murder. For now the town's Sheriff, Jonathan Gallaghee suggests all citizens stay indoors and secure their homes. In case people are spending their night outside this Halloween, we advise to stay In groups and avoid frequenting desolate and badly lit places of the town."

"Jesus Christ..." he muttered as he lowered the volume. Just as he did, the phone in his car rang. Startled, he picked it up. "You have a missed call from the number 005 007 298. Press 001 to listen to the recorded voicemail-"
"Oh dammit" he said under his breath as he pushes the button.
"Mr.Soloman?" it was Michael's voice.

"Um...the party was cancelled. Well not cancelled-but relocated. We were forced to take the nightshift today, but we negotiated we could party here instead with free food.

If you get this, please come over to the diner. Don't wait outside, we won't be there. Grace is with us already, we're only waiting for you now.-This is the end of the recording. To delete it press-" Eric hung up, sighing in relief.
"Thank god they're not outside..." he breathed.
"I'm comin' kids...I'm comin' any minute now."
___________________
"Taste the caramel one," Grace said to him. "It tastes better than the licorice sticks." Michael looked at her, took one out her hand and threw it in his mouth. After letting it melt on his tongue for a while, he nodded. "Yeah... they're delicious."
She laughed and swung her feet from the counter she sat on.
Michael sighed, smiling to himself. "I was really looking forward to the trick-treat. It's unfortunate we're stuck here."
"Did you want to go so badly?" she asked as she turned to face him. He looked in his eyes, and she saw the sudden sadness in them. After a long pause, he looked away. "I never went as a child." he confessed to her.
"I was never allowed to go, for unknown reasons. Mostly my parents always said my faith forbid to celebrate any holidays, but the reason why I never got to play outside," he lied as though not to give her a hint of his real identity, "I was never told. If I had money, I'd buy a lot of candy. Try to give it away, just as long I'd have the chance to make a friend. I wasn't allowed out as much the others you see," his voice had gone quiet, cautious, almost shaky, as if he was trying to push away the sadness that overcame him. His eyes followed the circles he drew into the counter with his index.