5

"What now?" Chris whispred, frightened.

They were immersed in obsolete darkness, rendered blind for the next seconds, until their eyes grew familiar with the place they knew best plunged in blackness.

"Absolute Silence!" the professor ordered, listening into the complete stillness surrounding them. He was thinking hard and fast, eyes glued to the distorted shadow of himself the moonlight was throwing against the floor. Shadows, he thought. We cannot leave a trace, not even a temporary one. "Everybody, move to the counter now, together! And you better not make a sound!" he commanded. They guided their steps carefully through the darkness, using the unity of their feet to feel about every object in their path. Grace was leading, and as tips of her fingers glazed over the cold wood of the counter, she gasped in relief.

"Everyone, behind the counter." Soloman whispered, "And God help you if you make a sound." He rounded the kids up, ordering them to stay out of the moonlight. Biting his tongue, he went quiet again. He had to make a decision and act fast, to assure their safety.

"You're gonna listen very carefully to me now, hear me?" "Yes." Michael swore.

In that moment of pure intense fear, his gentle and cautious voice was comforting. "All of you are gonna stay here, together! You hear me?"

"And you Mr.Soloman?" Grace sobbed. "I'm going to have to check the premises."-"You can't leave us! You said-"I said," he cut Chris off, "that you're gonna do only as I tell you, no exceptions!" he stressed, reminding him. "But what if something happens to you?" Michael's voice sounded broken. "Kids...Come here." he took each of their hands and guided then into the moonlight, now seeing all of their young, terrified faces. In that moment he realized as much as these three had given him hell since they met, he'd grown to love them like the kids he wished he'd had the chance to have. "When have I ever not protected you?" he asked them. "Is there one time where I let any of you be put in danger?" he looked at them. Slowly but surely, they all shook their heads, realizing there hadn't been one time he did not know what he was doing.

"I always do what is best at any given situation. This one...leaves me but one choice only. I have to make as much time for you as I can while you make a run for it!"-"But how will we know if he's inside and not lingering outside, waiting for us there?"-"...You will know." he said, knowing what will have to transpire in order for them to know the killer's presence. "And who's gonna save your ass when shit goes wrong sir? Nuh-uh, I ain't with that," Chris suddenly got up, and stood up to him. "This isn't your choice to make Chris!"-"Yes it is!" he protested. "How are we gonna feel, when he gets you and kills you? How are we gonna live with that, sir?! You're not going alone! Whether you like it or not!"-"Oh hell you won't!" Soloman warned him.

"Sir we won't let you go alone. You're gonna have to take one of us." Michael agreed, but his professor kept insisting "The three of you are stronger together!" he tried to make them understand.

"And you'll be dead all by yourself." Chris foretold. "And that," he picked up his knife, and watched it glisten in the cold white light of the moon. "I can't let happen. I'm going with you."
Soloman sighed, accepting he was not gonna change their minds anytime soon. Gritting his teeth, he finally gave in. "Michael...please protect Grace. Promise me!" he demanded "Promise me, that you're gonna do everything to get yourselves out of here alive! I need you to promise!"-"I promise." he whispered, raising his hand in symbol. "I promise, sir."