The picture of Dorian Gray

Assignment: Imagine what happened after Dorian stabbed the painting in 200 words or more.

~

[...] It would kill this monstrous soul-life, and without its hideous warnings, he would be at peace. He seized the thing (the knife), and stabbed the picture with it.

~

Dorian felt the knife cut through the painting, coincidentally the thunder began growling outside. He thought he would feel relieved by getting rid of the painting but the gushing blood that rolled down from it showed him he hadn't succeeded. He was disgusted by the amount of blood, disgusted by himself. His stomach clenched as soft gasps escaped his mouth.

 He stumbled back, he needed to be steps away from the hideous painting that was nothing but a burden in his life. The soulless man contemplated the portrait, he saw a smirk forming on his reflection's face. To his unhappiness the portrait only had a small cut that was visible in the middle.

It looked more terrifying than before, there was so much blood. His portrait looked like a maniac. A feeling of guilt passed through his whole body, that's who he had become, a monster, a killer, a bad man. 

Exasperated, he let out a scream of frustration, he couldn't take it anymore. He pulled out the knife from the painting and stabbed through over and over and over again. The more he stabbed, the more blood rolled down the painting and onto the floor.

Dorian sank down on his knees as a cry of despair escaped his lips, he let the knife fall beside him and clasped his hand over his stomach where he felt sick. He had this feeling inside him that he knew would never go away. He looked up at the painting, the bad actions of his life reflecting in it. It was monstrous, that's how he saw himself. He was nothing  but a guilty man that let his mind shut into darkness for so many years.

Words count: 282

Inspired by Oscar Wilde's The picture of Dorian Gray (1890)