4. Back in the living room

Newt climbed out of the case and entered the kitchen again. Then he reached for Tina's hand to help her out of the case. After he secured the lid, they walked back to the living room, still holding hands. There was a peculiar sight of sleeping persons near the fireplace. The table was put aside and Jacob and Yusuf were in deep rest on two makeshift beds while Nagini lay curled up on the couch. Nicholas was seated by the fire, reading a book. He looked up when Tina and Newt entered the room. His look went up and down over them, then rested on their hands. He smiled. "So... I believe... some wounds were healed this night. Good.... very good...! Now I believe it's time for you to get some sleep, am I not right? You must be exhausted too, like your friends were."

Nicolas gestured at the corner of the room. "The fireplace spots are taken, so I guess I will have to arrange something over here for you..." And at a quick flip of his right hand, two makeshift beds appeared in midair and landed softly on the floor. They just fitted into the available place, shoved together. The whole room now looked like one big dormitory. Tina thought it was a bit hilarious, but she felt very tired indeed, so she only nodded grateful. "I wish you a very good night then" the old wizard said, and while he took his book he waved, and left the room.

Tina and Newt looked at each other. "Well..." Newt whispered with a smile, when he put down his case. "You look like you could use some sleep, Tina" "You look the same, if I may be so bold", she replied with a tired smile. She started to untie her shoes as Newt did the same. Newt chose the bed close to the wall and while he lay down, he saw Tina walking to the other one. He was glad she would sleep so close to him. And.... he felt he could look at her forever....

Tina lay down on her side, facing him, and looked into his eyes with a little smile. "Hi" she whispered, "I like being so close to you". She reached for his hand and moved a little closer towards him. Newt brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. He thought about this day and all these intense moments that had passed with dazzling speed. And about all the different feelings he'd had. He had felt worried, puzzled, shy, bold, horrified, sad, but also hopeful, astonished, grateful, caring and very happy. And all the time very much in love with this woman next to him, who was looking at him now, and obviously was searching his mind. He smiled back at her.

"I want to make you a promise", he said. "I promise I will always be there for you, Tina. I want to be by your side...." Tina felt like she drowned in his eyes, she couldn't believe she could feel so much at the same time. Grief and sorrow, but also love and happiness. And she felt very much loved and protected by this wonderful sweet man she held hands with. "To that I will hold you", she replied softly "and I promise you the same..."

At this words, she moved more close to him and rested her forehead to his chest. He put an arm around her and kissed the top of her head. With a tired sigh Tina drifted into sleep. A few moments later Newt closed his eyes too, and after a last grateful thought of Tina he also fell asleep.

Next morning, Newt woke with a feeling of being watched. He noticed he still held Tina close to his chest. She was fast asleep, her body relaxed and her breath calm and soft. He looked up at his friends. Nagini and Yusuf were still sleeping too, but Jacob wasn't. He was watching Newt and Tina and their soft embrace. He caught Newt's eye with a suggestive look, then gave him a understanding smile. Newt smiled back at him, feeling very happy. What difficulties may come, they were already a little lighter to him. For he knew he would have Tina by his side.