Trick or Treat

Halloween. A time for candy, dressing up in costumes, and watching horror and Halloween movies. And for Luz, it was also a time where being a weirdo obsessed with fantasy and magic was acceptable. She could express her creativity in the decorations and food without being told she needed to separate fantasy from reality. Of course, there would be times where her planning would go a little too far, causing her mother to reel her in a little, but other than that, she could do what she wanted. Luz had been counting down the days until the 31st, and at last, the day finally came.

            Over the last week, the Noceda residence had slowly been spookified as Luz calls it, with Luz hanging bats above her fireplace. After hanging up the last of the bats, she stepped back and looked at her work, trying to see if anything was out of place. Bats hung from the lights and the ceiling. Ghosts were taped to the walls. Light green see-through tape was on the fireplace's outside mirrors, making it look like a cauldron, with jars of different things placed on the shelf above it. Just then, the doorbell rang. Luz walked over and opened the door.

            "Hey, babe," Luz said, giving her girlfriend a kiss before letting her in.

            "Hey Luzzy, " Said Amity. She stepped inside and took off her shoes. "Is your mom here?"

            "No, she's at work."

            Amity set down her purse looked around the house. She was always so surprised at how good of a decorator Luz was. "I love what you did with the place. Especially the fireplace."

            "Thanks. Do you want some hot cider?"

            "Sure."

            The Latina walked into the kitchen and pulled out two mugs. As she was filling them up, the Blight noticed the jars above the fireplace. Curiously, she walked over and picked one up for a closer look. Several fingers were placed inside, each one hand made and painted. The label read dead man's finger. She put the jar back and looked at the other titles: Pixie wings, Eye of newt, bat wings, and frog legs.

            "Did you make all these?" Asked Amity

            "Yeah. The dead man's fingers are stale breadsticks that I cut and painted; the newt eyes are tiny plastic eyes. The bat and pixie wings are made from foam wrapped in colored paper, and so are the frog legs."

            "Their amazing." Amity walked away, flopped down on the couch. "So, I take it you're done with the decorations?"

            "Almost. I still have a few things to put up outside. Want to help?"

            "I'd love to."

            Luz made her way to the couch and handed her girlfriend a mug before sitting down and putting her arm around her. "Here you go."

            "Thanks, babe." The Blight took a sip of the warm beverage and smiled, letting out a small mmh as the cider warmed her body. She put the drink on the table and grabbed the remote before snuggling into her girlfriend. Luz sipped some of her cider before putting it down next to her and brought Amity closer.

            The Blight flipped through the channels, trying to find something to watch. Since it was already Halloween, most of the specials and movies had already been played but they didn't mind.

            "Oooh, how about this?" Amity said, stopping on the movie Halloween.

            "Honey, you know I love you, but I am not watching a horror movie."

            Amity giggled. "Worth a shot." She flipped through a few more channels before landing on Hocus Pocus. "Oh, cool, they're still showing this."