Chapter 10

For a moment, Lord Maxwell turned away from Jaxon's proffered arm to observe me.

His black brows knitted together. Concern marred his features.

"I suppose you might be onto something, Jaxon, my good fellow. Our miniature wordsmith is starting to look a tad pale," the vampire remarked with a reluctant sigh.

Lord Maxwell let me go. I giggled.

He then proceeded to bite into Jaxon's arm with far less finesse than he had shown me. I flinched slightly as my heart went out to poor Jaxon. The way Lord Maxwell attached his fangs to Jaxon's arm looked very much like the way one might tear into a turkey leg at a state fair.

Jaxon released a grunt of pain as the vampire's fangs sunk into his flesh. Lord Maxwell's throat muscles contracted over and over again as he guzzled away. It wasn't a pretty sight, but, in time, things began to look up. Jaxon's facial muscles relaxed. He smiled. He giggled, too. The boy appeared as though he had ascended to heaven.

Meanwhile, something wet dripped from my hand. I glanced down. My skin was covered in blood.

I giggled.

Who knew feeding a vampire was so messy?

I fumbled for some tissues in my backpack and pressed them against my puncture wounds to stop the bleeding.

The guys were moaning up a quiet storm at this point. Through my giggly stupor, I kept trying to shush them. We weren't exactly sitting out in the open, but I was still worried someone might hear us.

"SHHH! BE QUIET, GUYS! OR ELSE WE'LL GET IN TROUBLE!"

My voice sounded a little loopy and hella loud for some reason.

Oh, well!

Lord Maxwell continued to drink from Jaxon like there was no tomorrow. Contrary to his bitching and whining earlier in the apartment, the vampire didn't appear to mind the taste of male blood at all, and, judging from the faint, floaty smile on his face, Jaxon seemed to be having a pretty good time as well.

When Lord Maxwell finally pulled away from Jaxon, the vampire appeared flushed and rosy-cheeked while poor Jaxon looked almost as pasty as me. I handed Jaxon some tissues. He pressed them to the bloody bite marks on his tatted arm and giggled again. I giggled back at him. Which made him giggle harder. Which made me snort and choke on my own laughter.

Man, I couldn't wait to go to class with these two!

Lord Maxwell smiled and smacked his lips. He had a bit of a milk mustache. Except the milk was red. I handed him some tissues.

Lord Maxwell dabbed away at his mouth and sighed contentedly, "Ah, I feel truly refreshed. Jaxon? Annalise? I shall forever be in your debt. Thank you for reviving me with the precious lifeblood that runneth through your mortal forms!"

"YOU'RE WELCOME!" I whispered.

Jaxon grinned. "DUDE! WE SHOULD DO THIS MORE OFTEN, MAXIE! I FEEL LIKE SUPERMAN!"

"ME, TOO!" I squealed excitedly. "LET'S FLY TO CLASS, OKAY?"

Jaxon didn't need anymore prompting. He quickly spread his arms out like an airplane and dashed away.

"VROOM! VROOM! I'M A BOEING 747!"

I chased after him with my arms flapping at my sides.

"COO! COO! I'M A MOTHERFUCKING PIGEON!"

Lord Maxwell hurried behind us with a look of alarm.

"Oh, bollocks... I fear I may have forgotten to mention—the first feeding for many mortals has been known to, ah... dredge up a host of rather undesirable behaviors..."