Chapter 9

Even in the pouring rain, the Quad at the University of Washington was rather picturesque.

In fact, it was probably the most Instagram-worthy spot on campus. Collegiate Gothic style buildings, featuring neat red bricks and ornate white terracotta accents, framed a crisp green lawn on all sides while Yoshino cherry trees lined the walkways.

As Raitt Hall and Savery Hall came into view, disaster struck.

Lord Maxwell placed a trembling hand on my shoulder and whispered weakly, "My love, I fear... I am beginning to feel a bit faint..."

Lord Maxwell stumbled and nearly fell face first onto wet grass. Luckily, Jaxon and I managed to catch the vampire in time before he toppled to the ground.

Students around us stopped to stare. I couldn't blame them. Lord Maxwell was looking conspicuous as fuck with his baby giraffe-like behavior—not to mention, his long raven hair, which trailed down to his shoulders, flowy white linen collared shirt, and tight gray trousers with its, ahem, noticeable bulge definitely didn't look like clothing that belonged in this century.

To be honest, I didn't even know what era he had come from. I mean, come on, what kind of loser would do that much research for a Hottpad story?

I prayed the curious onlookers would simply assume that Lord M was cosplaying or something.

I waved them away. "He's fine! Just a little tipsy! Such a party animal, this guy!"

Jaxon and I dragged Lord Maxwell over to a more secluded area and plopped him onto an empty bench. We sat down on either side of him.

I gazed at the vampire with a worried expression.

He looked even paler than usual. There were dark circles under his eyes. His cheeks were sunken.

"What's wrong with you, buddy?"

"I have already told you, Annalise," he gasped with some effort. "I must drink! Or else—I shall perish!"

I cursed. "Oh, damn it! Really? Is it that bad?"

Lord Maxwell bewailed, "Oh, my love! You have no idea! I am so desperate for nourishment right now... Please... I must drink soon... The darkness is coming for me..."

"But we're in public!" I reminded him anxiously. "I can't just let you sink your teeth into—"

Before I could finish, the vampire's head lolled to the side as he fainted onto my shoulder. I caught him in my arms like a two hundred pound sack of potatoes.

Oh, shit!

The poor guy was out cold.

While holding onto Lord M's limp form, I turned to Jaxon helplessly.

"Do you think he's dead?"

"He was already dead, genius."

"Don't be a smartass, smartass! You know what I mean! What should we do now?"

Jaxon frowned thoughtfully. "Maybe... you should give him, ah... something, um... to drink?"

So, we were back to square one.

I gulped nervously. "Maybe you should be the one to give him something to drink!"

"No, it has to be you!"

I shook my head violently in protest. "No, it doesn't!"

Jaxon smirked. "The vamp said he liked female blood, remember?"

"God, why do you smirk so much? It's getting annoying."

Jaxon looked offended. Butthurt even.

"It's not my fault, okay?" he muttered defensively, "You're the one who wrote me this way!"

I opened my mouth to argue only to snap it shut at the last second.

Damn it, he was kind of right again!

The source of all my problems right now were coming from my stories!

Argh!

I glanced down at Lord Maxwell, and my annoyance slowly trickled away.

The weight of the large vampire was starting to feel really heavy in my weak, twig-like arms. As I gazed upon Lord Maxwell's pitiful, unconscious state, my stomach couldn't help twisting with guilt.

"Oh, okay, fine!" I relented. "Maybe I can give him a teensy tiny sippy sip. But only a drop or two! Fill up just enough of his tank to, you know, get him back to the apartment..."

Relief flooded Jaxon's handsome face. "Oh! I'm so glad you're stepping up, Annalise! I was afraid that I'd have to do it..."

"For a guy who's supposed to be a badass, you're kind of a disappointment," I grumbled.

"I know, I'm sorry," he apologized to me in rather unapologetic tones. "You're my hero, though, babygirl. My inspiration. The very reason why I need to try to become a better man. Have I told you that recently?"

I was no longer listening to Jaxon or any of the BS tumbling out of his mouth.

There were more important matters at hand: I needed to figure out how to feed and resuscitate my vampire, and, sadly, I didn't have a clue how to do it!

I started by squirting some sanitizer on my hands. It seemed like a good first step if open wounds were going to be involved...

Once my hands were clean, I prodded my forefinger into Lord Maxwell's mouth and grazed my fingertip along one of his protruding canines. I pressed my finger, hard, into the pointy end and winced as the sharp fang pierced my flesh. Warm liquid gushed out from the cut.

I felt Lord Maxwell stir.

His mouth began to suck on my finger. I gasped. My heart raced wildly. Warm, tingly feelings coursed through my veins. It felt strangely intoxicating, almost arousing, as the vampire drank from my finger.

"You taste so sweet, Annalise," Lord Maxwell growled softly.

A cloud of lightheaded, giggly happiness fell over me. "Uh... that's a good thing, right?"

His tongue started swirling around my finger in a very inappropriate manner. "It is indeed a very, very good thing, my love..."

Jaxon was watching us with unconcealed interest. The intensity of his piercing blue gaze was making me feel a little hot and bothered.

Lord Maxwell moaned with pleasure. "More, more, I need more..."

He clasped onto my right hand with both hands bit into my palm with his fangs. I whimpered with pain and then pleasure as the vampire continued to drink from me. I felt as though I was floating on cloud nine.

I studied Lord Maxwell through a haze of euphoria. His eyes were closed. His lips were pressed against my palm as he continued to take my blood. I giggled. My head rolled to the left and then to the right. Trees and buildings began to dance and sway like works of animated abstract art...

"Okay, okay! That's enough, you greedy bloodsucker!" Jaxon interrupted. "You're going to drink the poor girl to death at this rate!"

Lord Maxwell scowled at Jaxon. He didn't release my hand from his grip. "But the thirst lingers within me!"

Jaxon offered up his forearm with the face of a man who was being unwillingly sent to war. "Then drink from me."