Chapter 16

The vamp and my roommate were so hormonally gone on each other that they didn't even notice Jax and I tiptoeing out of the living room.

We slipped away to my bedroom and shut the door to block out the icky-sounding grunts and gasps from Lord M and Kyra. I started setting up Dae Jang Geum on my laptop. A happy squeal from Kyra echoed through the wall. I turned up the volume. Lord M moaned even louder. I cranked up the sound until Jang Geum's soft, melodious voice blocked out the boink sesh happening in real time just beyond my bedroom door.

Jax and I proceeded to pile up all the blankets and pillows in my room. Then, we climbed onto my bed like two excited fangirls, flopping lazily onto the mattress to make ourselves comfortable for our K-drama marathon.

As Jang Geum became trapped in quarantine during the epidemic episodes, I couldn't help noticing that Jax's legs had drifted so close to mine that we were almost touching. It suddenly became somewhat difficult for me to focus on watching the stupid drama. I could feel the heat radiating from Jax's larger male body. His muscles looked hard, solid, chiseled. His tats were pretty fucking badass.

A wave of frustration rolled through me.

Goddamnit! Why did I have to make him so distractingly hot?

Jax glanced over with a worried frown. Our eyes locked.

"Hey, Annalise?" he murmured.

My breath hitched slightly. I leaned towards him. "Yes, Jax?"

Jax gazed deeply into my eyes. Then, he lowered his lashes thoughtfully.

"I just thought of something..."

For a guy, he was in possession of some insanely long lashes. It was so unfair! It was such a waste!

Yet, it was so... attractive.

I felt my cheeks grow warm. "Uh-huh. Go on."

"Do you think Lord M knows how to use protection?"

His question blindsided me. I nearly tumbled off the bed.

"Wait, what?"

"Should we go chuck a condom at him or something? Before, you know, things get too hot and heavy out there?"

My expression fell.

This definitely wasn't the direction that I thought our conversation was heading in...

In glum tones, I responded, "Is it even necessary? Aren't his little soldiers supposed to be, I dunno, dead?"

Jax grumbled, "How would I know? You're the one who created the rules of his world! You should know the answer to this question..."

I huffed, "Well, excuse me if I don't spend all my time daydreaming about vampire sperm! Besides, I think Kyra's on the pill. We should be good."

Jax muttered. "What if he has an STD or something?"

"It's not possible for Lord M to have STD's! He's a virgin!"

Jax arched an eyebrow. "You sure about that? Because he definitely seemed to know what he was doing with Kyra just now..."

"He's a virgin, Jax, not a prude," I retorted with an epic eye roll. "The dude's whole backstory is built on the idea of him being completely faithful to his one true love, Elizabeth. Lord M would never bang another chick, at least, not when he was still inside my book..."

Jax chuckled. "Damn, you really fucked him over. No wonder he's acting out right now!"

I narrowed my eyes. "What's that supposed to mean, Jax?"

At this point, neither of us were paying attention to the drama anymore.

Jax tossed me a withering look. "I mean, you gave the poor guy a case of blue balls for hundreds of years over a woman that he could never find—it's a bit sadistic, don't you think? Honestly, I don't blame the vamp for trying to sleep with the first warm body that's available to him."

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Jax's critique over my favorite part about A Loveless Blood Moon Eclipse didn't feel good at all. In fact, it stung like hell.

My lower lip trembled. "Dude! Words hurt."

His blue eyes instantly widened with remorse. "Aw, shit. I'm so sorry, Annalise. Don't listen to me, I'm just being a dumbass..."

Jax's apology barely registered. My mind was elsewhere.

Against my will, tears welled up in my eyes. "Not only are you a total dumbass, Jax, you're a really rude one, too!"

"You're right! You're absolutely right! I'm the world's biggest dumbass. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, babygirl."

I sniffled. "You really shouldn't criticize things that you don't understand..."

His expression softened. "What am I not understanding right now?"

"Everything!" I snapped.

"Then... help me understand. Why did you want to make Lord M such a faithful character?"

This gave me pause. I didn't answer Jax right away. I couldn't find the words.

Carl's face kept flashing across my mind, taunting me, reminding me, hurting me, still... 

Finally, I managed to say, "Lord M's character... was really... personal to me. I created him right after I broke up with my ex-boyfriend."

Gently, tentatively, Jax placed a hand on my shoulder. A knowing look shone from his eyes.

"Did that fucker cheat on you?"

"Yeah," I whispered, "he did."