Student and Teacher

Jack wasn't usually given to petulance, but the absolute indignity of Hildur's words swam through his mind as he thrashed his axe into the sawn log, putting all his strength into every swing.

"Jackson Overland!" Came the humiliated voice of his mother, finally. "I can't believe you would just run out like that!" Jack ignored her and flailed the cutting tool into the forest. "Do you know how embarrassing that was for us?" Yes, them. Everything was always about them. What about his humiliation?

"Jackson," approached Nicholas with a quieter voice, "now that we're alone let's just talk about this; the three of us."

"Fine." Jack spun around. "I won't marry her. I won't have anything to do with her. End of discussion." If only he could find it himself to repeat what she'd implied about them. But just because his pride was injured didn't mean theirs had to be. "I don't need to get married to find decent work. I'll learn trade, I'll open a shop. Anything to take care of this family once you're gone."

"It's not that simple. It's not just the work that'll go to you; the property and all the taxes that come with it. You'll need stable income." Nicholas answered. Jack tried to find the right words to say, but it seemed there was no persuading them.

He still insisted, "I don't care what it takes, I will never marry her. I won't marry anyone from around here." Jack stormed past them, indulging in his defiance.

Emily tried to call to him in a softer tone, but Nicholas hushed her. Perhaps once he'd calmed down he would rethink the situation. But Jack was hard-headed and assured of his feelings—he wouldn't dare lower his standards to whatever a haughty elitist wanted from him. Rarely was he put into such a state, but Jack spent the rest of the morning alone by the pond where no one bothered him.

He'd debated leaving this dreadful place many times, but his family was what made him stay. To leave them behind would betray the one thing he valued most in his life. They loved him, but they didn't know him. Jack didn't always know himself, but he knew he would never deign to demean himself by marrying someone he despised and only wanted to tame him like some wild dog.

When he retreated home, the family spoke not another word of it for the rest of the day, even though he knew it was on their minds.

...

The dreams. They were so vivid.

(Artist: https://www

(Artist: https://www.deviantart.com/amoraim)

He could feel an icy breath behind him, sweeping up to catch him. If it caught him, he would die a slow, painful death and be left howling alone in the darkness. Littered inside of the snow-covered arches were the skeletons of those that dared to climb the path before him, some with hands still reaching out for life to come and save them. Their boned fingers brushed against his coat like trying to grab onto him; Jack began to run. His bare feet left deep footprints in the snow.