A Little Charm Goes A Long Way

"Come on, boy. We can't be late for Lord Hufflepuff!" Aiden barked.

Godric jerked awake. He'd been having a great dream about being a rich king but his pleasing vision evaporated into nothingness as his eyes flickered open. He groaned as reality hit him again. He'd stayed with Mr. McCartney overnight at a grubby inn called The Wailing Banshee. They had quite a journey to the castle so they had to set off immediately. Godric obediently gathered up his possessions and sleepily made his way out into the cold December morning.

"Lord Hufflepuff doesn't appreciate slackers!" Aiden said sternly as they climbed into a coach that was waiting outside for them.

"I'm not a slacker!" Godric retorted.

"Glad to hear it!" He laughed. "That's good. Hufflepuff's a very nice man, within reason. So be warned, boy - do not get on the wrong side of him or you'll find yourself out on your ear!"

"Okay," Godric muttered. "But I have no skills in a kitchen. I've never worked in one before!"

"Ah, the other workers will train you up!" Aiden chuckled.

"I bet I'll be the only boy in history to work in a kitchen full of women!"

"Don't be silly, lad!" He said, looking amused. "There are other boys your age or slightly older in our kitchens!"

"Really?" Godric replied, looking utterly shocked.

"That's right so less of the attitude!"

*

Once the sun had risen fully upon the Hufflepuff castle, the lord's youngest daughter opened her eyes and squinted against the sun, curling up under the thick, warm duvet. She lay there for a moment, watching the snow fall lazily outside her window and then, once her eyes felt wide open, she got out of bed and pulled her dressing gown tightly around her, soon regretting crawling out from beneath her warm bed covers. It got very cold within the castle, which was rather annoying during winter. The Hufflepuff's were a very respectable family within high society, not because they were rich like everyone else, but because they were very pleasant to most people, even their inferiors.

"Helga!" The maid called.

"Yes?" She squeaked in her sweet Irish tones.

She was easily Hufflepuff's favourite daughter. He had three. Hilda was the eldest at nineteen years old and was soon to be wed to the lord of Eastern France. Ingrid was Hufflepuff's second-eldest daughter and was fifteen. She was tutored at a private academy in Southern Ireland but was home for Christmas. Then there was Helga. She was eight years old and had always been taught at home because she was a daddy's girl. She had been ever since her mother had passed away when she was just five. She'd died of Pneumonia after travelling to her homeland, Sweden.

"Your father has requested that you be ready for breakfast shortly!" The maid called.

The maid assisted Helga in getting ready and, once she was dressed in a flowing silver gown and her dull blonde hair was pulled up into neat spirals, she made her way downstairs to join her father and sister for breakfast.

"Morning, my love!" Lord Hufflepuff beamed as Helga approached the enormous dining table. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you!" She replied, taking a seat opposite her sister.

"Do you have anything planned for today, my dears?" He asked, sipping at his morning tea.

"I thought I might go riding in the orchards," Ingrid said as she buttered a slice of bread.

"In this weather?"

"Yes, it's a lovely day!" She laughed.

"I thought Madam Owen was teaching me today?" Helga said eagerly.

"Yes, that's right. But she'll only be instructing you for an hour or two today. She has to travel back to Southern Ireland and be there before Christmas eve."

"What do you have planned for today, father?" Ingrid asked, tucking her hair, which was an identical colour to Helga's, behind her ears.

"Well, we have a new employee coming to work for us," he explained. "We don't really need him. We may have few workers but I don't really see the need for loads of them. I'm taking him on as a favour to Lord Schreiver."

"He's come from Scotland, then?" Helga asked in interest.

"Yes, m'dear."

"Can I see him too?" Helga asked. As she didn't leave the castle that much she always liked to meet new people.

"There's no need to Helga," Ingrid laughed.

"I see no reason why not," Hufflepuff smiled. "But you must first go to your instruction!"

"I will!" She smiled.

*

Straight after breakfast Helga dashed up to the third floor and ran along the corridors, her footsteps pounding on the floor and creating noisy echoes. She dashed through the door into the room where she always studied with Madam Owen.

"Oh, Helga!" She cried. "You gave me such a fright!"

"Sorry!" Helga said sheepishly.

"You shouldn't run along the corridors, you could cause an accident, dear!"

"Sorry," she said again.

"Well, you are rather early," she muttered, looking at a clock mounted upon the wall opposite her.

"I know but I wanted to learn more about the charms," she beamed.

"Very well!" She laughed.

Helga sat at the desk in the middle of the room and waited as Madam Owen crossed the room and unlocked a cabinet, taking out a large and heavy-looking book.

"Where were we last lesson?" She asked.

"Levitating," Helga said promptly.

"Ah...yes," she murmured, turning to the right page.

*

"We're almost there, boy!" Mr. McCartney announced happily.

"Are we?" Godric replied, looking surprised; he'd expected the journey to last longer and it wasn't even midday yet.

"That's right. You'll get your first look at the Hufflepuff castle in a moment. It's not the grandest but we like it!" He laughed. "It's just up here!"

The coach had started to trundle up a dirt track on the right, which was flanked with towering fir trees, throwing them into shadow. They travelled up this track in silence for a few minutes and then the trees started to thin. They emerged onto a flat area of land that spanned out across low valleys and across a small circle of grassland lay the castle. It certainly wasn't very grand. It wasn't as big as Lord Schreiver's castle and it was obvious that repair work had to be done but it looked homely.

"Ah, it seems Lord Hufflepuff wanted to greet you himself!" McCartney chuckled.

"What?" Godric demanded, looking shocked.

He leant over to look out of the coach window and, sure enough, a chunky middle-aged man with a thick brown moustache and receding hair to match stood at the entrance. Godric gulped nervously. He hadn't expected this and started to feel very nauseas. He expected he'd have to get the lord's approval before he could work at his castle. The coach finally came to a stop and, as McCartney chivvied Godric out, he stepped down nervously.

"Come on then!" McCartney urged, leading Godric towards Hufflepuff.

Lord Hufflepuff approached, looking very impressive in long robes of yellow and gold. He observed Godric closely.

"Hmmm," he grunted thoughtfully. "He's a lot smaller than I expected."

"Yes, sir," McCartney replied. "Schreiver assured me he'd be strong enough to handle our Irish horses."

"Well, that's no matter! He'll work in the kitchens. Have you ever worked in the kitchens before boy?"

"No, sir," Godric said nervously.

"Ah well...we shall get someone to show you the ropes later on. Thank you, McCartney!" McCartney left them alone at this. "Now boy," Hufflepuff said, placing an arm on his shoulder and walking alongside him. "You've probably been told that this isn't exactly the grandest of castles but we're a strong work force here and I hope you'll be loyal to us."

"Of course," Godric said quickly.

"Good." He turned to observe Godric for a moment. "Ah, you're different. I usually get the stuck up little toads from Schreiver! Think they deserve better than this castle!"

"I don't mind as long as I've got somewhere warm to sleep," Godric said hesitantly. "The sleeping conditions at Lord Schreiver's castle weren't that great anyway, sir."

He let out a booming laugh that made Godric flinch.

"Ah, I love a boy that's honest!" He chuckled. "Let me show you around!"

Godric had never known a lord to be so hands-on with things. Most lords didn't seem to care about the little things but Godric was starting to like Lord Hufflepuff more and more.

"Daddy!"

They both turned to see a blur of silver and white dashing towards them.

"You said I could come with you!" She reminded him breathlessly, her pale cheeks flushed red due to the cold.

"Have you finished your instruction?" He asked sternly.

"Yes. I've worked very hard," she smiled.

"Very good," he said. "Helga this is...oh, sorry m'boy, I don't know your name."

"It's Godric, sir," he replied.

"Well, Godric, this is my youngest daughter, Helga."

"Hello," he said awkwardly. He'd never been introduced to people of high status like this before and it felt strange. He was made to feel like an equal but knew he didn't really deserve to be.

"Are you Scottish?" She asked with interest, her green eyes glistening.

He nodded, forcing a smile. He wasn't used to being acquainted with a Lord's family and, after the experience with the king's daughter, felt it to be rather wrong.

"Oh," the king said suddenly, observing Godric's tatty old clothes with a furrowed brow. "You must be freezing in those, boy! Helga, why don't you take Godric to see Mrs. Lynch? I'm sure she could sort you out with something. I must go and send a letter."

He dashed off into the snow and the two children watched him go. Helga then turned to Godric, beaming happily.

"Come on, I'll show you where Mrs. Lynch works. She makes all our clothes!" She grabbed Godric's hand and pulled him along as she ran back inside the castle. A wave of warmth swept over Godric's body as they did so and Helga led him down some stone steps just off the entrance hall and into a pokey basement area. "Come on, in here!"

She pulled Godric through a heavy wooden doorway and they emerged in a long room that had a very low ceiling. A tall person would have to duck under the beams that ran in rows above them. There were work benches but they were hardly distinguishable under the great piles of cloth on top and a large spinning wheel was pushed back into a far corner of the room. Godric followed Helga as they wound their way through the workbenches. He was trying to be very careful in case he knocked things to the floor. There was hardly any room to move at all.

"Mrs. Lynch!" Helga called.

A skinny woman with a bony face and large eyes popped her head out from behind a large screened-off area of the basement. She smiled with her thin mouth as she saw who it was.

"Ah, Helga, my dear!" She trilled in a croaky Irish voice. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thank you," she smiled back. "This is Godric," she told Mrs. Lynch. "He's new here and he needs new clothes."

Mrs. Lynch surveyed Godric for a moment and it was quite uncomfortable being fixed with that pale stare.

"I see what you mean," she muttered. "Well, we'll get him measured up and see what we can do." She turned towards the screen at the back of the room, beckoning Godric forwards.

"Go on," Helga hissed, when he hesitated.

Godric followed the woman and she pulled him in front of her with a thin, claw-like hand. She took the ends of his ragged top with both hands and pulled it clean over his head.

"Hey!" Godric said in shock, pulling his arms up in front of his bony chest.

"Oh, stand straight, lad!" Mrs. Lynch snapped, as she grabbed a measure.

Godric grudgingly stood up straight as Mrs. Lynch started to measure him up. He felt very self-conscious standing there while a complete stranger attacked him with a measuring strip. It was all very embarrassing.

"Maybe you could use this."

Godric backed away in embarrassment as Helga walked behind the screen to join them, carrying a folded piece of material. She laughed at the look on his face.

"Oh, grow up, lad!" Mrs. Lynch barked. She turned to see what Helga was carrying. "Yes, that's good. He'll need a bit of fattening up!" She laughed, poking him in the ribs. Godric scowled at her.

"That's for me?" He asked Helga, looking at the material. He'd never worn a garment made of something so grand.

"Yes. It'll keep you warm through winter," she smiled, disappearing back behind the screen.

*

After Godric had been measured up Helga took him to the kitchens to show him where he'd work but this was mainly because he was starving. She took him some meat and some bread out of the store room and he ate hungrily.

"I'll see if I can find my father," she smiled. "To tell him that I've shown you around."

She got up and dashed from the room, leaving Godric in the silence of the extensive kitchen. He looked around and smiled. He'd landed on his feet here. It may not be the grandest castle but he didn't care about that sort of thing. The Hufflepuff family seemed kind and caring. He knew he'd like it here. His eyes fell upon the last chunk of bread left on his plate. He hesitated for a moment, looking around. No one was lurking in the dim kitchen so he turned back to his plate and raised both hands over it. He concentrated very hard and, slowly, the bread began to hover slightly, rising gradually further up in the air. He didn't realise that Helga was on her way back. She walked along the corridor outside and, as she saw what Godric was doing, she stared in shock and gasped. Godric wheeled around.

"I didn't see you!" He said quickly, accidentally knocking his goblet of water to the floor as he scrambled to his feet.

"You can do magic!" She said, looking utterly perplexed.

"No! Well, I can but it's only that really," he assured her. He knew what the penalty was for possessing unnatural powers. "Please don't tell anyone!"

"But I must tell my father!" She said, smiling. Godric didn't understand. Was she happy at the thought that she'd be responsible for him getting hanged or something much worse?

"No! Helga, you can't. I'll be killed!" He pleaded. "Helga!" He called in panic as she rushed from the room. Disregarding the spilt water, he raced after her. He had to stop her.

She continued to run ahead, dashing along the corridors at top speed, her silver dress whipping out of sight every time she turned a corner. She dashed into a room halfway down a corridor on the second floor and, with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, Godric heard the king reply to her swift entrance.

"Helga, what is it, dear!" He chuckled.

"Daddy..." she panted, her hair now all over the place from where it had fallen down.

"What is it?" he demanded, looking worried.

"It's Godric," she breathed.

"What's happened?"

Godric dashed into the room, stopping next to Helga.

"What are you talking about, dear?" he urged.

"It's nothing, Sir," Godric said quickly, looking pleadingly at Helga.

"He's - !"

"No, I'm not!" He said quickly.

"Not what?" Hufflepuff demanded, looking perplexed as he sat behind his desk with a quill suspended over a blank piece of parchment.

"He can do magic!" Helga announced, beaming at her father.

"Helga!" He snapped.

"No, it's okay, Daddy," she assured him. "He can do magic just like us!"

Godric stared. So he wasn't the only one. He'd always thought he was the only one that could do it and therefore had decided it was best to keep it a secret.

"You can?" He asked Godric.

"Er...yes, Sir," he answered uncertainly.

"Well, let's see it then," he said, narrowing his eyes.

"Go on!" Helga hissed.

Godric hesitantly moved forwards and made one of the spare quills levitate. Lord Hufflepuff stared in shock but then smiled, jumping up from his chair. This made Godric flinch.

"This is amazing!" He chuckled. "I haven't seen many young sorcerers such as yourself for a long time, m'boy," he said. "Except for my daughters, of course, but this is wonderful!"

"So...I'm not in trouble?" Godric asked warily.

"Trouble? Of course not. We're one of the only magical families in power in this country. Some do not even know they're blessed with a gift like this. It is feared, as you probably know, so you mustn't tell anyone about us. Are we clear, boy?"

"Of course," Godric said, unsure of what was going to happen to him.

"Will Godric join me in lessons?" Helga asked eagerly.

Hufflepuff surveyed Godric for a moment.

"I don't see why not!" He laughed. "You'll learn magic with Helga and her tutor. In fact, yes. That'd be an idea..."

"What, father?" Helga asked.

"You will live in the castle. If you're going to be learning with Helga...and since you're the only young wizard here," he muttered. "You'll still work, though."

"Live in the castle?" Godric demanded, not daring to believe his ears.

"Yes, m'boy!"

Godric couldn't believe his luck. He was not only living in a place where people didn't look at him like something found on the bottom of a boot but he was also going to live in the castle. He was going to learn magic and he may even be considered family in time. He couldn't help but smile at Helga's beaming face.