02 | invitation

BELLA

The day was ending, and so was my chores. I smiled in relief as I tied the very last rubbish bag, ready to throw it at the dumpster.  I walked down the hall in joy only to be stopped by a soaking wet Caroline. I tightened my fists. I just got the floor done. She crossed her arms and called me out, "Bella." It was emotionless but I felt threatened. I calmed myself down, "What do you need? This rubbish bag could rip anytime." As I clutched on the rubbish bag that was emitting a horrible smell. 

"Oh drop the act..AND THE BAG." She demanded. I was stunned and slowly laid the rubbish bag down, "Look Carol you're wasting my time. If this is about me throwing out-" she cut me off, "Stop. Come with me." She grabbed my wrist and twisted me to her room. As I got in, she looked back at me, "I know your little secret." She winked and walked over to her bed. 

"Oh wow, and what is that?" I tried to sound relaxed. She rolled her eyes, "I know you have a huge crush on Mr. Chance." 

I freaked out. How did she know? Geez does she have telepathy or something? Deny, deny, deny. "Bullshit Carol I don't even know him well." She scoffed, "You idiot stop trying. I catched you snooping my yearbook. Seems like you locked eyes with a picture of Mr. Chance for a very long time." . "Honestly yeah I did. You're just exaggerating what you saw. It was nothing like that." 

Caroline walked over to me, "You can admit or deny it but I know. Besides, I can totally get him to you! I have connections. Loads." I lit up with the offer. "Wow.. you would?" I said in shock. She lightly patted my shoulder. "Of course! After we break up of course." Oh fuck.

"Did you seriously think I wouldn't know? Look, you can keep dreaming but seriously, don't try. It'll creep him out. Which is embarrassing when he finds out we're sisters. Half-sisters." She said in an absolutely bitchy tone. I turned away, ready to walk away, "Noted." I walked off and carried off my very last rubbish duty. Just hoping it would distract me from just now, but it didn't. As I threw the rubbish bag, a bright white light came into the driveway. The sound-

"Hey Bella, quit your chores!" . I laughed at the sound of Katherine in my driveway. "Jesus Kat, why are you here?" . "Ready to get you away from the horrible household! Let's go before Caroline catches you." I playfully rolled my eyes and obliged. I jumped into her blue Mustang and she drove off. "So.. mind telling me why you called me?" I laughed. "Well, first, Barcelona left me missing you. I just couldn't wait to meet you. Also, I have some awesome news!" she said excitedly as she tightened her grip on the wheel. "Alright Kat, slow down already haha." 

As we arrived, I met Brandon, Kat's brother. "Hey Brandon how's it working with Kat?" I laughed. Brandon said jokingly, "Oh everyday is a battle." Kat rolled her eyes, "Stop it you two. I'm not that bad. Just a little lazy." Brandon gave a nervous smile, "I'm glad to see you here." I blushed, "Yeah me too." . Kat broke the eye contact between us and said, "Stop it lovebirds. Brandon, don't you have a speech for the pep rally to work on?" . Brandon rolled his eyes, "Pep rally was last week but obviously you missed it." He walked away with confidence, he looked back and mouthed a "bye" to me. Kat turned to me, "Can't believe he chose pep rally over going to Barcelona. Who does that?" . "The student body president of course." I laughed. 

We walked up to Kat's room, "So Kat, what's the big news?" as I plopped onto her bean bag. Kat quickly spun her body to face me, "First! What was that just now?" . "What was what?". Kat rolled her eyes, "My brother! Brandon! He was checking you out. You gave him the same treatment." Kat frowned, "Are you guys telling me something I don't know?" 

I laughed, "Oh Lord Kat.. you truly are the cutest. Look, just now was a normal conversation. I just haven't seen him a lot aside from the speeches and announcements he gives in school." I reassured her calmly. Kat gave me a sketchy look, "You know..I wouldn't be surprised. Brandon turned down most girls and he always has a positive opinion on you." . I raised my eyebrow, "and what are you trying to say?" . Kat sighed, "If you like my brother too, I say go for it. I'm sure he'll be happy to go out with you." 

"Oh my gosh Kat what are you implying? No way. Besides, Brandon.." I sighed, "He's just like Greyson. They're way to good for me.. I mean Greyson is now the captain of the football team and Brandon is the student body president like..I'm far from carrying any big positions in school. It really just reflects on who I am. " 

"Stop downgrading yourself Bella. You're as beautiful and as charming as Farrah Fawcett. Minus the abundance of hair products used. You're a natural beauty. The best part? You're smart. Okay you know what? Let's quit talking about Brandon. Let's get straight to the point okay?" she smiled as she plopped onto the bean bag next to me. I smiled at her reassurance. She continued, "Okay so this Friday, Meghan is having a HUGE Halloween party. Her parents are away. Best part? Everyone is invited AND it's a gaga party." I furrowed my eyebrows, "Uhm.. gaga?"

"Sounds weird but the name says it all. Everyone must be dressed like Lady Gaga or just some wacky costume." Kat looked excited. Me? I didn't see why she needed to bring me here to discuss about it. "Haha alright Kat if you're trying to bring me into this then I'll just have to announce that I can't." I began to prepare myself to leave as I stood up.

"Wooah stop right there. Is it because of your stupid Friday night chores Maura gives you every week?" . I sighed, "Yeah the usual. But this week is important. She's got a date. I must be there to prepare the whole place. Make it super special or whatever." . Kat couldn't take no for an answer. She shakes her head, "Nope. Not an option."

UPDATED IN 2017 

Character cast in 2012 > Updated cast in 2017

Taylor > Ariana > Kat

New cast is Brandon as Kat's brother