chpt. 6

Annie's POV:

The rest of the day went like a blur, with Tyler not bothering to talk to me once.

It was like this before the crash, he'd ignore my presence in school, but I thought we developed something more than friendship yesterday.

I guess the feelings were more one-sided, as usual.

I was busy walking the school grounds, taking pictures of nature or the graffiti around it. There was something so beautiful about these simple things that made it picture-worthy.

I guess I use photography to capture nature's original beauty before it diminishes, as many people choose to disregard and neglect it. 

Ruining these perfect artefacts would only hurt the Earth more - and increase the chance of our extinction.

I was too busy caught up in my thoughts to notice a very attractive girl running my way, crashing into me, causing my body to topple onto the ground with her on me.

"Shit! I am so so sorry!" She cries out, standing up abruptly and looking down at me with her small, brown eyes.

I widened my eyes in panic as I inspected my camera.

Phew, no scratches or breaks.

"It's fine," I chuckled "Have I met you before?" 

"No no, I just moved here from the UK - I'm new." She replied as she helped me up.

Ah, explains her foreign accent.

"Oh! Welcome to Serenity" I smiled, brushing off the dirt from my clothes.

"Thank you! I'm Jamila." She smiled back, holding out her hand.

I rolled my eyes in response and shook her hand, assuming it was how people greeted each other back in Europe, "I'm Annie."

"Nice to meet you, Annie!" She beams, "You do photography?"

"Yeah, I do." 

"Nice! I took photography for GCSE in Year 11."

"What's that?" I questioned, not knowing what the hell she was talking about.

And that's how a new friendship formed, through clumsiness and curiosity.

***

I found out a lot about Jamila, she's a really interesting and energetic girl - a complete contrast from me.

She's originally from a city called Lancaster, in England - and her family is from India and France. 

She moved here because of a job offer her dad was given, he was an earthquake engineer - meaning they travelled a lot due to his research and work.

The more we talked, the more I noticed how gorgeous she was. 

She deserved to be friends with someone like Cece.

She had long, model-like legs - with brown, Gigi Hadid-like eyes and dark brunette hair. Her caramel skin tone fit her complexion perfectly, and her full, pink lips finalised her look. 

She reminded me of Jacqueline Fernandez, but a much younger version.

How did she end up in a deserted town like Serenity when it's clear that she should be strutting down the runway in New York or Paris?

Beats me.

"No! For real?" I gasped, clutching my stomach.

"I'm being for real! I fell into the water, bringing him down with me!" 

We were currently talking about her many ex's, and how her relationships turned disastrous.

"Jesus Jamila, your life is hectic." I giggled, tying my hair into a ponytail.

"Yeah it is, I want to start afresh here in Serenity - and focus on my studies." 

"That's good, I'd probably be a good person to hang out with if you want to lay low." I winked.

She chortled in response, "Annie. You seem like the type who'd get herself into situations without thinking about it. But of course, I'll stick with you."

I slapped her arm, offended, "I'll have you know, I'm very incognito."

"Sure, sure" She responded, rolling her eyes.

I smiled back, turning my attention to the scenery around us.

It was sunset now, and we were hanging out in the park - talking and enjoying ourselves.

But that's when I saw him.

With her.

Jamila noticed the abrupt change in my expression and turned her attention to the people I was looking at.

She let out a wolf whistle, "Damn, those two are hot."

"That's Tyler. With Cece." I let out with gritted teeth, crossing my arms.

They were walking together, holding hands and talking.

"Oh.. damn" She mumbled, knowing my current situation with those two, before saying, "Cmon."

"What?"

"Let's go."

I sighed in response, not wanting to go home.

I really liked hanging out with her, but there's always tomorrow.

"Alright," I say, getting up and linking my arms with her.

I let her drag me along with her, not having the energy to do it myself.

But then I noticed the direction we were going in. The same direction as Cece and Tyler.

And we were going fast.

They both looked away from each other, noticing us advancing toward them and froze.

Cece was looking at Jamila, crossing her arms and glaring, clearly threatened by her.

But Tyler was looking at me, as if he was caught off guard with me being here.

I smiled weakly as Jamila confidently strutted past them, taking me to the playgrounds swings, leaving the two of them hanging - gobsmacked.

"And that's how you make your presence known." She whispers, sitting down on the swing.

"So much for laying low and no drama" I retorted, joining her on the other swing.

She snicked whilst looking at me, "I've got your back bitch, don't worry."

And that was the first time I truly felt safe, with Jamila next to me.

I didn't need Tyler at all.

A/N - I'm so sorry for not updating in weeks! I'm preparing for my mocks, and still have ALOT of revision to do!

I'll try and release another chapter this week, but no promises.

Thank you for nearly 2k reads and all of the kind messages - you are all amazing <3

Love you :)