Ch 38| Not meant to be?

Do you know that feeling when you feel that you are going to lose someone?

The feeling that maybe,you wouldn't be able to meet them again. Maybe you wouldn't cross paths with them again. And that gives a blow to your heart.

That makes you want to do something, anything which can prevent them to go away from you.

But all you feel is helpless, because at that time,you can see them going away from you. But you can't stop them. Even if you want to.

Kartik was feeling the same. It was like he could see Naira going away from him. All those memories of her were flashing in front of his eyes and was making his eyes swell with tears.

He wiped the tears and tried to distract his mind. But nothing helped. Her smiling face was making him yearn for her. Those memories of them was making him feel to do something and bring Naira back. To him.

They were merely 4-5 kms away. But the distance between their hearts,their feelings was increasing.

He could feel his eyes burn with tears. As they flew incessantly.

I am getting hitched to someone else.

We both know that this won't work long.

Those words burnt his heart.

Did everything was fake for her? Their moments. Their hugs. Their kisses. Their assurances. Their sparks.

Does she not feel anything for me. Is she happy staying away from me. He ran his hands on his face rubbing the tears.

Was it just a time pass for her?

But all those thoughts seemed absurd when he thought about her. He knew her. Even if everytime,she tried to hide under shields. He was able to see through her. Her soul.

Can't he now? Oh! He definitely can. And he knew seeing her cry today. He knew that she didn't want it. But she was accepting it because she was tired fighting every time. Tired from choosing.

But that's life is all about. Right? You will have to choose something or the other. Changes will happen. Sometimes you will be given choices. And sometimes you will be not.

But was Kartik ready to accept this change? Change of her withdrawal from his life.

Can he do something?. Can anything happen to prevent all of this. To bring the old them?

He thought and thought but nothing found. And the previous emotions resurfaced. Of helplessness.

Maybe he should let her go! But was it that easy? It wasn't. It was difficult. Very very difficult.

"I won't leave you Kartik. I won't leave you because I can't." She once said to him.

Now why is she leaving him? Does she not know that he is not himself when she isn't with him. That he doesn't know how to deal with anything without her guidance. Does she not know that he needs her. Her support.

He sighed deeply. Those thoughts,those feelings,those memories were creating a havoc in his mind,in his heart and was breaking him.

What should he do now?

Should he give up or bring her back?

•°•
Few days later!

Naira stood in front of mirror. Trying to hide the dark circles under her eyes with make-up. She looked at herself in the mirror and her eyes filled with tears.

She doesn't want it. Definitely not. She wants her kartik. Her Kartik to be with her and if not he. Then no one.

But she is tired choosing. Choosing between her studies and her parents and now between her parents and Kartik.

A little earlier,when her mom gave her the picture of her to be husband. She silently took out the picture wishing in her heart him to be her kartik. But who was she even kidding? It doesn't happen in real life. And not certainly in her life.

She doesn't know what she is doing? Probably Waiting for a miracle to happen. Even if she knows that it won't.

"Naira beta,ready?" Her mom asked.

"Yes Mom" she tried to smile but couldn't. Even a fake one.

"I can't believe my daughter has grown up this much that her marriage is getting fixed today." Her mother said getting emotional.

Sarita cupped Naira's face. " You are happy na?!" Her mom asked.

Naira abruptly hug her. Hiding her tears. "Just a little nervous maa" she answered. And after wiping her tears secretly. She broke the hug. Oh! She has become perfect in that. In hiding her tears. Her pain.

"Sarita,they came" Adesh, Naira's father told her from the other end of the door.

Naira felt her heart sank.

"Let's go. Naira." Her mom held her hand taking Naira with her.

Naira kept her gaze down hiding her tears,which were flowing. She ran her hands through her bangs deliberately wiping her tears unnoticed.

She greeted them with namaste. Not even looking at them. Her eyes either looking down or behind them.

"Sit here beta." Her mom said making her sit down. She could feel someone sitting beside her. But she didn't even look up at him. She was lost in her thoughts. She sat there but she wasn't there. She was lost in their moments. Their memories.

After gifting her gifts, blessing her and making her wear some traditional bangles. She was asked.

"Do you wanna talk to him? Naira beta." An unfamiliar voice greeted her ears.

She looked up to see a lady probably in her 40-50s looking at her with soft eyes. And a wide smile.

Naira ran her eyes to her father and her mother. Seeing their reluctance. She understood that they didn't want that.

"No aunty. It's fine. I believe in my parents' choice." She said with a small smile. And fiddled with her kurti's end piece.

"Alright then,this marriage is fixed." That lady exclaimed clearly joyous and all happily congratulated each other.

But naira sat there not moving. Her tears slipped from her eyes. And she could hear her heart breaking as she saw her kartik going away from her. For good.

I want you Kartik. Her heart screamed but that voice was submerged by all the chaos she was surrounded with.

We weren't meant to be!

•°•
Want to know your thoughts!
Btw.. the next one is the last chapter. I guess.