Fireflies

In the dark night where the world is still and sleepy, when the only light comes from the distant moon and the only thing stirring is me, the world stops for a moment. The hands on the clock pretend to stop with it as the world holds her breath to swim in the still night. It's in those moments that everything begins to melt away. I don't have to worry about work or rent. They are far away hiding in the morning that doesn't exist yet. He is the only thing still real in the frozen night. 

The way his rough face looks so soft in the cool blue light, and how his hair spills across the sheets like he dropped it and never bothered to pick it up. All the joy and pain that's ever stained his face has been melted away in the night. The world was so still and he was frozen in it too. Even in the deep night when he's faded into his dreams, he's still so beautiful. 

I could stay in this moment forever. 

Unfortunately, California nights are plagued with the same heat from the days. The heat wasn't oppressive, but the sweat was making the sheets stick to my leg, so I couldn't ignore my discomfort and stay frozen in time with my love. I let out a sign and slowly brought myself to get up, leaving the safe haven of my bed and my love to open the window. 

The night's air is cool and crisp. It feels like a glass of water when you get home from a long day, where you didn't realize how thirsty you were until you finally get a drink. I closed my eyes for a moment to embrace the frozen fall night, when a little lightning bug introduced myself. At first, he landed on my nose. It startled me, but for some reason I didn't move. I'm not scared like I might have been during the day. He is a friend, and he wants to say hi. 

I could stay in this moment forever. 

He only stayed for a moment though before inviting himself into my room. I wondered if I should try to coach him out before I noticed where he landed next. My little lightning bug friend wanted to give Dan the same hug he gave me. It drew me back to him again, and I noticed a little smile across his face. He looks so sweet as he's vaguely brought back to consciousness in the frozen night. 

I could stay in this moment forever. 

As the lightning bug goes on to leave my little room and enter back into the vast night, I crawled back into bed to embrace my love. Its these moments that I love the most, when the world is still and sleepy, and the only light comes from the distant moon and lightning bugs and we are the only ones still stirring. When the worlds stops for a moment. The hands on the clock pretend to stop with it as the world holds her breath to swim in the still night. It's in those moments that everything begins to melt away. Dan rolls over and gives me a kiss on the forehead. 

I could stay in this moment forever.