4. Nightmares

A/N

i swear ive just given up with the names at this point-

(this one's kinda angsty with a fluff ending <33)

Nico's POV:

I'm there again. One second I'm content in Will's arms and the next I'm back here. I squeeze my eyes shut, although I know, one way or the other, I always end up looking.

I hear my mother, bursting into our room, trying to save us before the flames engulf her. I open my eyes. I know what's next. I turn around to see a ten year-old Bianca, pushing me out the window to the fire escape, kissing my brow once before catching fire as well.

Then everything falls silent. I feel like tears prick my eyes as my younger self screams and sobs and thrashes, eerily muted.

And then the part I dread the most; I see all the ways I could have helped, could have saved her. I could have pulled her out with me, or shadow traveled us, or done anything but stand there helplessly, like I did in that moment six years ago, so close but so, so far away.

I blink, and I'm nowhere. An endless void. All alone with nothing but my thoughts.

Will's POV:

"Nico? Neeks? Baby, please wake up..." I brush the hair clinging to his damp forehead. This isn't good. He's had nightmares before but never like this... I shake my head. This isn't the time to get lost in my thoughts. Nico needs me.

I shake him by the shoulders. "Hey! Nico!"

With a start, he sits up.

I breathe a sigh of relief. "Neeks? You okay?"

He shakes his head. He doesn't want to talk about it.

"Okay. I'm going to get you water. You're running a fever."

I fill a glass with cold water from the tap and sit on the opposite end of the bed, not wanting to overstep any boundaries.

I press the cup to his lips. "Drink. It's cold."

He takes a sip and then pushes the cup away. I sigh. If he doesn't want to talk about it, all I can do is be there for him I suppose.

I open my arms and he hesitates for a second before he clambers into my lap, resting his head on my chest.

I rock him slowly, mumbling sweet nothings into his hair.

After what seems like hours, although it's merely been minutes, he says softly, his voice riddled with sleep, "D'you- d'you think I could have... have saved her?"

Oh... he had that dream again.

"Neeks, I know that you... that you blame yourself for her death but I'm telling you - and I'll tell you over and over till you believe me - that you couldn't have done anything. You were too small to pull her out, and too weak to shadow travel, you know that." I rub his back soothingly.

"She doesn't blame you. Nico. She chose to save you and not herself. There's nothing you can do about that. Okay?"

I look down to see that he's looking back up at me, his chin pressed against my chest.

"Okay."

I hug him tighter.

"I love you, Death Boy."

"Love you too, Sunshine."

And with that, we fall asleep, both of us dreaming of the other.

(544 words, 2799 characters)

A/N

hi!! just wanted to post something for friday the thirteenth!!

i'm actually pretty proud of this one, as i don't really have much experience in writing anything sad/tragic-

anyways, remember to vote and comment your requests!!

love you all, have a great day/night <33

-ema