She needed to have her

The first thing she was aware of was a hand caressing the right side of her face. Soft and gently. The familiar and warm touch made her feel safe and able to unwind while memories started emerging. Not, yet, sure about the surroundings nor what had happened, Maura kept her eyes shut and held the hand that was comforting her. When she came to her senses, she slowly tried to remove the hand from her. Weak, she began opening her eyes. She was in her bed.

M: "Please, leave."

J: "Maura..."

M: "I mean it, Jane. Go home."

J: "I don't want to."

M: "Where's Frankie?"

J: "You told me you weren't together."

M: "This, again?"

J: "You were talking about dating!"

M: "I was helping him with a girl."

J: "I-I thought-"

M: "Well, you thought wrong."

J: "Why so many secrets? I know I've been an awful friend but...you're my best friend, Maura."

M: "Please..."

J: "Where did I screw up? I wanna fix this. I wanna fix us."

M: "It's not your fault. I'm the problem. I-I think it would be better if we stopped hanging out for a while."

J: "Better for who?!"

M: "Both. I want you to be happy, Jane. I don't want to be the one standing in your away."

J: "You're not!"

M: "I am, and...I don't trust myself around Casey."

J: "Since when do you hate him so much? You used to like him."

M: "Since he took you from me."

J: "Maura, I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere."

Jane tried to reach for her friend's hand, but she pulled away and started to look in the opposite direction.

M: "Please, don't touch me."

J: "Nothing has to change. You know I could never leave you. I'm only getting married. It's not that big of a deal."

M: "But it is!"

The doctor, carefully, stood up and started moving to the suite's bathroom. Jane held her forearm, trying to help her.

M: "Don't touch me. I mean it."

J: "Just tell me what I gotta do...please!"

M: "You really don't get it, do you?"

J: "Then, make me understand."

M: "Close the door when you leave."

When she entered the bathroom, the doctor closed the door behind her.

_____________________________________________________

For the past days, even if they were acting friendly, the two friends kept things strictly professional. The doctor knew Jane wasn't upset with her, only hurt. It broke her heart seeing her that way but, again, she was hurt herself. Although she had high hopes for the future, taking a break from each other was the best thing to do right now. Both needed time to heal. The detective had to learn how to forgive her, and she had to learn how to control her emotions. Maura didn't want jealousy and resentment to get in the way. She wouldn't be able to forget herself if she lost the most important person in her life. Staying away from Jane was a small sacrifice to make for their relationship to survive. Knowing her friend, she also knew she understood they needed time.