Chapter 23

“The news of an engagement travels fast!” I thought, for the palace was already buzzing with activity. Merewen and I spoke the day after Legolas proposed, and we decided that it was best to have a double wedding. The invitations were sent to all kingdoms and people already started to show up. Even Merewen’s parents and sister came. When they saw each other, it was very touching for they had not spoken for some time.

*****

“Inwe, I still cannot believe you had me in a dress! You did it on purpose didn’t you?” Merewen accused.

“No, I didn’t it just seemed more appropriate for a woman who was in the company of the Prince to be in proper attire.” I laughed when Merewen stuck out her tongue at me.

“Though…I quite love this dress that you picked for me for the wedding!” I just barely contained my laughter and responded, “I knew I could change you somehow!”

“Change me! Well…I never!” she said storming out of the room. I burst out laughing, no longer able to control myself.

“What is so funny?” Came Haldir’s voice from behind me.

“Ahhhhhhh, you aren’t suppose to see me in my dress.” I yelled as I ran into the next room.

I changed into my normal clothes and saw Haldir standing on the balcony, holding a bouquet of flowers behind his back. I giggled at the fact that I could see them plainly, but said nothing. I walked over to Haldir and he pulled me to him, kissed me softly, and said, “Amin mela lle, Inwe! (I love you, Inwe!)”

“And I you, melamin!” We walked around the garden for quite a while, and I just listened to Haldir speak. I loved his voice; it could soothe anyone. He spoke of the events that were occurring over the next few days before the wedding, and he told me of the guests that had arrived.

I was most glad to hear of the arrival of Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn, and the few remaining members of the fellowship. I suppose this was all for the fact that it wasn’t every day that an elvish Prince and Captain of the Guard got married.

*****

I saw Merewen several times throughout the next few days, looking rather nervous. “What is the problem Merewen? Are you well?” I asked her when I finally caught up with her.

I startled her a little but she answered, “Fine, I am fine. Thank you I am just nervous.”

“Nervous, over what?”

“Over the fact that I am going to become a Princess in a few days’ time. I don’t think I am quite ready for that, even though I love Legolas with all my heart and more! I think the only reason my parents came to see the wedding is because I am marrying a Prince!” Merewen barely breathed when she said this.

“Calm yourself, you will be fine, nothing will go wrong. Just go and talk to Legolas, and relax. And I am positive your parents have other reasons to come, like to see their daughter marry someone who makes her happy. No matter if he is a Prince or not.” My words seemed to calm Merewen, and she bid me farewell and headed off to find Legolas.

I was surprised to find Elladan talking with Legolas; obviously, Merewen had not found him yet. “Legolas, I bid you good luck with Merewen for she is slightly nervous and is troubling over everything.” Legolas just smiled at me, knowing his fiancé far to well. “So what are you two talking about?”

“Nothing that concerns you,” said Elladan knowingly.

“Well then!” I said dramatically and headed off to find Haldir. I was happy to see that they had come to an agreement.

I found Haldir at the gates of Mirkwood, talking with some guests. Then I realized that it was my family. I flew over to them and hugged them all. “I am so glad you have come.”

“And we are very happy to see that you are finally settling down, with the Captain of the Guard, no less!” teased my mother. I lead my family to the chambers they were to stay in, and left them to be with Haldir for a while.

“How do you feel Inwe? For I feel slightly nervous!” I laughed at this.

“If you want to see nervous, you should have seen Merewen earlier, it was hilarious!”

“I bet it was. That girl doesn’t know what’s good for her, does she?” “Well she has an idea!” I responded, thinking of her choice in men. We talked and kissed all day, savoring every moment that remained, before we were bound. At this moment I was very happy that King Thranduil was taking care of all the arrangements, for if he was not, I would not have seen Haldir at all.

*****

Haldir and I lay on the grass of the Gardens staring at the stars that appeared before us. Previously that night, we had met with the hobbits that decided to attend, and Lord Aragorn and Lady Arwen decided to bless us with their presence. This night, the eve of my wedding day, was one of the best times I had ever experienced in my lifetime. When the dawn came, I went off in search of Merewen, for we were not allowed to see our fiancés today. I found her in Legolas’s chambers, and I was very relived to see that she had dramatically calmed down, and she was in the arms of the one she loved.

Today was our wedding day, and for that I was happy!