~ Chapter 5 ~

When Splashpaw woke up, the heat of Bramblepaw and Rainpaw's bodies next to her were gone. She sat up, letting her brain wrap itself around what happened. Splashpaw let her claws dig into the bark as she padded up to where Rainpaw sat down. The silvery grey tom turned his head to gaze at Splashpaw as she approached him.

"You're awake." His mew was weary as he turned his gaze back to stare out over the forest.

She didn't respond as she settled down next to him. The water level had lowered, she could see it when she spotted Bramblepaw splashing through the water towards their tree. He looked up and beckoned them to come down. Splashpaw and Rainpaw glanced at each other before shimmying down the tree trunk.

"I found most of the cats." Hawkpaw mewed, pacing farther into the woods. "It's not a pretty sight."

Splashpaw braced herself, taking in Hawkpaw's warning. She followed the tom and even though she knew what was coming, it didn't stop her from flinching. Cats were scattered around, limping around and meowing out to their clanmates. Trees were down, branches covered the puddled ground.

"Splashpaw..." Rainpaw murmured, nodding towards a spot where Whitefeather and Redstreak were.

Splashpaw turned her head with a  cry of horror. Her mother lay motionless on the ground while her father trembled to stay standing as he towered over her. Splashpaw hurried over, her eyes wide.

"No! Mom!" She yelped.

Splashpaw nudged her mother's white fur. "Get up!"

"She's dead." Her father rasped, raising his head.

"She can't be!" Splashpaw wailed, pushing her face into her mom's flank.

She felt someone's tail slip over her shoulders reassuringly. Splashpaw looked up to see Mintystar, her eyes glazed with grief.

"Redstreak..." The she's voice started as a whisper and only got stronger as she progressed. "I trusted you."

"I know-" Redstreak's mew sounded shattered.

She cut him off with a hiss. "I trusted you would take care of my sister."

"I know." Splashpaw's father's voice sounded strained.

She felt a stab of pity for the reddish brown tom, he'd just lost his mate and now was told off by the leader. Mintystar shook her head, ears flattening.

"You need to get the clan organized, I'll help." She muttered, turning away.

Redstreak gazed at Splashpaw, his gaze empty. She gazed at him back.

"I-" Her voice cracked before she hurried over to press herself against her father.

She felt his tongue rasp over her head as she cried into his fur, legs shaking.

"Why Starclan?" She heard her father murmur.

* * *

Splashpaw dragged fresh moss through the camp entrance, Hawkpaw and Rainpaw following suite. Willowclan cats hurried around the mess that was once their camp with Thornfur and Cardinalfeather even helping the younger cats. Splashpaw finally reached the wreck of the apprentice's den, setting down the moss. She studied the wreck, pushing some of the debris aside.

"You guys are definitely gonna build the wall you wrecked." She warned.

"Thanks for the reminder." Hawkpaw muttered, nudging a branch that was on top of the mess of brambles.

"We need to get this branch." Rainpaw said, point towards the same branch that Hawkpaw had nudged.

"Hmmm." Splashpaw mused.

"Grab one end each you two." Hawkpaw instructed.

Biting back an unwanted comment, she grabbed the stick's end. Rainpaw positioned himself on the other side.

"I'll push it back, you two dislodge it." Hawkpaw grunted, placing his front paws on the branch. "Ready... now!"

Splashpaw nudged it up with her muzzle, as Rainpaw did on his side. Hawkpaw heaved, pushing against it as it tumbled away from the three. Multiple scratched covered Rainpaw and Splashpaw's muzzles, the two cats were gazing skeptically at Hawkpaw.

"Now for the rest!" Hawkpaw purred.