Chapter Fifteen

My day at work is long and painful. Literally, I'm in pain. My back is hurting, so bad. I leave around 2pm instead of 3.

When I get back to my house, Katniss runs to the door and jumps on me. I laugh at her and say, "Wow someone missed me." Just as I say this, I collapse.
"Peeta, are you okay?"
"My back just hurts a little, no big deal."
"Yes it is a big deal. You're so strong, if it was just hurting 'a little' you'd still be able to hold me up. Don't lie to me, you're in a lot of pain," she says sternly.
"Babe, I'll be fine. I just need to rest," I assure her with a smile. I kiss her cheek then stand up.
"I'm going to go lay down. Are you coming?" I ask.
"Of course I am, fiancé. Lead the way."

We both make our way up to my room, and I take my shirt off. I lay down then Katniss lays down with her head on my chest.
"Can I ask you something, babe?"
"Yeah, anything. What's on your mind?" She asks.
"Why didn't you want to lose me? You can have anyone, you can do anything in this world. But you want me. Honestly it seemed like you weren't even functioning like a normal human," I laugh awkwardly. "I just don't get it, honestly."
She speaks without hesitation. "You're so much more than you give yourself credit for. Smart, strong, caring, passionate. You loved me when no one else did. And maybe at first I didn't love you...in the same way. You won me over. Ever since that day on the beach, I couldn't get enough of you. Even when I thought I was about to die, in that arena, I never felt more alive. I was scared to lose you, because you were the only reason I was alive. The only reason I am alive. I need you. I love you. Real or not real, you'll always stay with me and never leave again?"
"Real. I love you and I'm not going anywhere," I say.

She kisses my chest, then I kiss her head.

"Let's get married in a month. That's plenty of time to prep. I want forever to start now," I tell her.
"Okay. One month from today."