Chapter Five

I am released from the hospital after three long and dreadful weeks. I was diagnosed with a bad concussion and a fractured back. Katniss and Haymitch have both been given strict instructions to watch me carefully at all times, because I could pass out during any given time. Other than being in the bathroom, my doctor wants me watched at all times. Katniss and I decide to stay at my house together until I'm healed. Haymitch will come over if Katniss decides to hunt or go into town.

I couldn't be more happy with the place Katniss and I are at. After everything we have been through, it feels amazing to finally call her my girlfriend. For real this time. I love her, and she loves me. The rest will unfold as time goes on.

After being home for about three days, Katniss lets me walk with her into town.
"You know you can't keep me coped up in my house forever, love," I tell her, laughing.
"I just want to put you in bubble wrap so nothing happens to you," she says, seriously.
"This is going to be the quickest trip ever, so I can get you home. Liquor for Haymitch, ingredients for you to bake, and maybe some stew from The Hob," she tells me.
I grab her hand and kiss her head as we walk, "I'm not broken. We can stay in town longer."
She squeezes my hand, "I know. I just get scared that something will happen to you. So we're gonna be quick."
I laugh, "Okay, whatever you say boss."

We get everything we need, while everyone in town stares at us. When we get to The Hob the questions begin.
"Are you two together?" Greasy Sae asks.
"Yeah, we are," Katniss tells her.
"I always thought it would be Gale," Greasy Sae begins, "but Peeta suits you very finely. I'm happy for you two."
"Thank you," I tell her, earnestly.

Katniss has been quiet and withdrawn since Greasy Sae mentioned Gale.
"You can reach out to him, Katniss. I know it must be hard to not talk to him after so many years of being friends," I tell her.
"It's harder to not have a sister after thirteen years," she tells me and begins to cry.
I hug her tightly and whisper into her hear, "I bet Prim and Rue are having a ball. Wherever it is that they are."
This actually seems to calm her.

The rest of our walk is silent. My back is beginning to hurt and I know that Katniss is hurting inside. But when we walk back into my house Katniss breaks the silence and says, "Thank you for all that you do for me. I really would be lost without you, Peeta."
"I love you, Katniss. I'd do anything for you," I tell her.
"Well, I need you to do something for me," she exclaims.
"What?" I ask.
"Kiss me."

So I do. As hard and passionately as I can.