Chapter Seventeen

The next day everything happens so fast. I put on my tux and pin a small primrose to it. It is becoming so much more real that I am about to get married.

I walk up to the alter and take my position. There are cameras everywhere, but right now I don't mind. I see Katniss, walking down the aisle with Haymitch. By the time she reaches me, we're both in tears. Haymitch whispers something in her ear, then passes her to me. I grab her hands and hold them in mine.
"You look beautiful, my love," I tell her.
She smiles and then Caesar speaks up.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats. We are gathered here today to witness the marriage of Mr. Peeta Mellark and Ms. Katniss Everdeen. You two have prepared your own vows, am I correct?"
We both nod.
"Peeta, whenever you're ready you may begin."
The nerves really begin to set in, but so does the adrenaline, and I begin to speak.
"Katniss Everdeen, the first day I saw you, I hoped one day we'd get married. Now today is the day, and I couldn't be happier. I've never loved anyone as much as I love you. You're my whole life. The air I breathe, the beat of my heart, the sunshine in my sky, the missing of me. Throughout the past, we've had our fair share of ups and downs. No matter what, we always made it through. Protecting each other and saving each other, just like we'll continue to do for the rest of our lives. Thank you for loving me as much as you do, I promise to love you more and more every day. You'll stay with me always, real or not real? In case I don't say it enough, I love you." I look up from my paper and realize Katniss is crying. And so am I.
"Peeta, I love you so much."
"I love you, too beautiful."
She takes a deep breathe, looks in my eyes, then down at we paper. "Handsome, I can't believe the day has finally arrived. The day that I will marry the boy with the bread. My Peeta, the one who has saved me more times than I can count. I'm the luckiest girl in the whole world to be able to call you mine. The amount of love I have for you cannot be explained with words. I will do my best to show you, everyday, for the rest of our lives. Forever seems like a long time, but it still isn't enough time with you," she pauses and looks at me, laughing, "I want you to stay with me always, real or not real?"
Caesar and all of our guests have tears in their eyes. "Peeta Mellark, do you take Katniss Everdeen to be your wife?"
"I do."
"Katniss Everdeen, do you take Peeta Mellark to be your husband?"
"I do."
"By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Peeta, kiss your bride."
I kiss her with more passion than I ever have before. We are finally Mr. and Mrs. Mellark.