ξ.

ξ. Leukophobia - fear of the color white

Aza swallowed thickly, suddenly very aware of the situation they were in. Sure, Aza had faced many, many gods - most of whom wanted to kill her, but that was always with Percy and Annabeth, who had her back. The three were always in tune with what the others were thinking. Not to mention, they were just as experienced as Aza. But now, Aza was facing a god who wanted to kill her, and she was responsible for making sure Jason, Piper and Leo all got out safely. She felt the weight of their lives on her shoulders, and it didn't particularly make her feel confident in how this meeting would end. She never had been good at diplomacy - that was more-so Annabeth's strength.

"Super," Jason snarked, grimacing. Aza saw his jaw clench into a strong square shape, and his blue eyes flickered with nerves. "Believe it or not," Aza murmured to the two demigods in front of her. "This is going better than many of my encounters with gods have been." She gave a forced smile, trying to instill them with confidence, but neither looked very soothed by her words.

Zethes reached forward and prodded Jason in the back with his sword. "Keep moving, Jason Junior." Jason instantly remarked, "Don't call me that."

"Maybe let the man with sharp sword call you whatever he pleases," Aza suggested, shrugging lightly. Step One in encountering a god: let them do whatever in Hades they wish. It makes them feel like they're in control and they're in power in the situation. The last thing you want is a god who feels powerless.

"Listen to her," Zethes agreed. "My father is not a patient man. And the beautiful Piper, sadly, is losing her magic hairdo very fast. Later, perhaps, I can lend her something from my wide assortment of hair products." Aza rolled her eyes at the Piper-obsess Boread.

"Thanks." Piper gave a disgusted smile, trying to look pleasant but instead looking like she had just eaten a spoiled fruit. The demigods kept walking, led by Khione and forced forward by Zethes and his deadly sword, and the mists parted to reveal a bulky, well-built man. He sat on a throne made of ice that made Aza's fingers feel cold just to look at. The man - god, more like - wore a simple white suit that had the same texture of fluffy, freshly-fallen snow, and violet wings spread on either side of his shoulders. His hair was long and scraggly, with a shaggy beard. All of his bodily hair - even the hair Aza could see on his wrists - was covered with small particles of ice and snow, and his heavily arched eyebrows made him look angry and cold, but his ice-blue eyes shone with a certain warmth that gave Aza hope that he would be considerable towards the demigods.

"Bienvenu," the god spoke through a thick French accent. "Je suis Boreas le Roi. Et vous?" Aza frowned, unsure of how to respond - all she understood was that he was Boreas, a fact which she already had assumed. She didn't like feeling so confused in the presence of a god, so she was ecstatic when Piper stepped forward and curtsied lowly. "Votre Majesté. Je suis Piper McLean. Et c'est Jason, fils de Zeus et Aza-Everett, fille de Phobos." Of course Piper could understand his French, being a daughter of Aphrodite.

The king smiled widely, one that Aza assumed to be positive. It didn't look like the murderous grin that Ares gave, one that appeared more like baring teeth in a threatening way, so she took that as a good sign. "Vous parley Français? Trés bien!"

"Piper, you speak French?" Jason questioned, looking surprised at the newfound knowledge. Piper looked at him and frowned, shaking her head. "No. Why?"

"You've been communicating with him in French. Aphrodite Powers." Aza said simply, itching to get over this part of the conversation - that didn't matter in the slightest - and get to the important, questing-bits. The king spoke once more and Piper nodded. "Oui, Votre Majesté."

Boreas laughed and clapped his hands in delight. He said something else, then waved hiss hand towards Khione, shooing her away. The snow goddesses eyes widened, and she looked livid, like she had just been personally insulted - which, in a way, she had. "The king says—"

"He says I'm a daughter of Aphrodite," Piper interrupted, causing Khione to freeze with her mouth wide open and give Piper the deadliest glare Aza had ever seen. "So naturally I can speak French, which its the language of love. I had no idea. His Majesty says Khione won't have to translate now."

Khione sputtered, her cool facade breaking momentarily in a moment of tense silence. Aza watched nervously, worried that Khione would lash out, but she just bowed stiffly to her father, like it was the last thing she wanted to do, and took a step back.

Boreas looked Jason up and down, his head tilting as he examined and considered the boy. Aza poked Jason in the back and whispered, "Bow." Jason's eyes widened, and he quickly bowed. When he rose, he said, "Your Majesty, I'm Jason Grace. Thank you for, um, not killing us."

Aza rolled her eyes and stepped forward, so she was in line with Jason and Piper, instead of behind them. "What Jason means to say is thank you for your hospitality, Your Majesty. It is very kind of you to allow us into your home."

Boreas gave a small smile, and he said something else in French. Piper translated, "He says that Aza has great manners, and that she has been taught well," she paused as the king spoke again, but she hesitated to speak once more. "And that her eyes intrigue him."

Aza forced a smile, and bowed slightly, keeping her eyes on Boreas the whole time, trying to remain as polite as possible - that way, none of them would be killed by a miffed god. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

Before the silence could fully settle, Jason spoke, anxious to keep the conversation going, trying to warm Boreas up before they could ask what they truly needed. "If I may ask, why does a Greek god speak French?" Piper turned to the king, and the two spoke brief French, before Piper turned her head slightly to address Jason. "He speaks the language of his host country. He says all gods do this. Most Greek gods speak English, as they now reside in the United States, but Boreas never welcomed in they realm. His domain was always far to the north. These days he likes Quebec, so he speaks French."

The king spoke again, but this time Piper froze and her face turned pale. "The King says..." She faltered, swallowing thickly, but didn't continue. Aza's eyes narrowed, her hand inching towards her bracelet - surely, something had gone wrong. It almost always did.

"Oh, allow me," Khione said, giving a malicious, victorious smile, "My father says he has orders to kill you. Did I not mention that earlier?" Aza gulped, biting back a retort, desperate not to escalate the situation further by pissing off yet another god. Boreas still smiled kindly, like he had delivered helpful advice to the demigods.

"Kill us?" Jason asked, blue eyes widening. "Why?