Second shot!

Today is Naina's birthday. Everyone is wishing her but not the person she wanted to wish her.

She is constantly checking her phone and visibly distracted. It's her birthday so her commanding officer also didn't said anything when he saw her not giving attention during his briefing.

She left early today. Few of her colleagues asked her to give treat but she excused herself today stating they will get it over the weekend.

Inside her quarter she was roaming here and there. Thinking how can he forget her birthday, when she specifically mentioned it couple of times after they started dating.

It's been around 6 months. Both of their postings are same so they usually meet around once a month. He visited her mostly for a couple of hours and then left around evening.

They didn't got past, hand holding or hugging. Rajveer is ever too shy for PDA and they never met in any secluded spot.

Naina never pushed him for anything. But today she expected him to make some gesture. At least he could sent a bouquet or even a small gift or at-least he could have wished.

She got tired after a while, he didn't called or messaged. She finally accepted the fact that he didn't remembered and slept on the sofa while watching some sappy drama.

Suddenly she woke up as her phone was ringing. She checked, it's Rajveer. He is calling on their general time to talk.

Naina picked up grumpily.

Naina: hmm

Rajveer: are kya hua? Mood off hai?

Naina: I was sleeping

Rajveer: are itni jaldi? Tabiyat to thik hai na? Msg kar deti that you are going to sleep to mai disturb nai karta

Naina stayed silent over it. All her anger came back and she is controlling to not burst out.

Rajveer: Naina.. Naina... tum so gai kya?

Naina muttered, "sone bhi kahan dia aapne"

Rajveer: kya hua Naina?

He sensed something is wrong. But he cannot understand what.

Rajveer: Naina kya hua? Kisi ne kuch kahan hai kya base par? Mujhe nai batayogi?

He talked so sweetly to her that now her anger is converted to tears. She is sobbing very quietly but Rajveer understood that she is crying. Now he is restless.

Rajveer: Kya hua Naina? Naina tum ro kyu rahi ho? Sab thik hai na ghar par? Please batao mujhe

Naina: aj..date.. kya hai Capt. Shekhawat?

Rajveer: aj 12th feb hai. Kyu kya hua?

Naina: aap kuch ... bhul... nai rahe?

Rajveer pressed his mind to understand the significance of the date, when he suddenly realised.

Rajveer: Shit Naina I am sorry. I mean happy birthday Naina.

Naina: I hate you for this Capt. Shekhawat.

And she disconnected the call. Rajveer is left with phone on his hand to deal with the blunder he had done.
——————————————————————————

Naina has disconnected all the calls Rajveer has made afterwards. He tried a lot to connect but all in vein. After two days he stopped trying.

Finally the weekend arrived and she was sleeping in. When the door bell rings.

Naina saw the time, it is the time for her milkman. She took a container for milk and rubbing her eyes, opened the door. She forwarded the container while picking up the news paper and saw someone who is wearing boots. She immediately saw above and see Rajveer smiling at her with a big bouquet of roses.

She was stunned as she never expected him to actually come down to see her. He came inside smiling at her condition.

He gently kissed her on her cheeks and handed her the bouquet. Then put the small luggage inside and locked the door. Naina was still standing at the same spot looking at him in amazement.

Rajveer pecked her lightly on another cheek and murmured in her ears, "happy birthday Lt. Singh and I am sooo sorry ki mai bhul gya us din"

Naina's face broke into the biggest smile she could actually manage and he hugged him with a jump. He embraced her and pulled her up to swing her in a circle.

Naina is smiling and there are tears in her eyes. Rajveer noticed them and he wiped them lightly, "are khush nai ho tum mere ane se"

She shakes her head in no, "Bahut jyada khush hu. Maine to kabhi sapne me bhi nai socha tha ki you will come here. I still feel I am dreaming"

Rajveer loosened their grip on each other but still kept his arms behind her waist, "tum mujhse aise naraz ho jayogi to bechara ye bevkuf boyfriend tumhara kya karega"

Naina blushed so hard but then took a breath, "matlab aise gussa mujhe bar bar karna chahiye"

He smirked at her and then pulled her in, "soch lo, fees lagegi har bar jab mai yahan aayunga"

Naina put her arms behind his neck and replied, "kaise fees Capt. Shekhawat"

Rajveer very slowly moved towards her lips and keep hovering on them for few seconds. Naina shuddered at this proximity, she feels like she couldn't hold herself standing when he pecked her lips lightly.

Naina closed her eyes to feel the touch. She dreamed of this moment so many times but they never had such moments before. This is their first kiss.

He kept on looking at her. She is looking so happy and calm right now. Her messy hairs and swollen eyes can tell that she just woke up but still she is the most beautiful girl for him.

He kissed her forehead and embraced her again. Now that they are dating, hardly a day goes by when he doesn't talk to her. He looks forward for that phone call the most in his entire day. When they were not able to talk due to any reason, he missed her voice so much.

The last three days when she didn't talked to him are so hard on him. He missed her so badly, it's the longing which actually made him take the leap of visiting her here.

Rajveer finally made her sit down and sat on his knees in front of her.

He took her hand, "Naina, in teen dino me mujhe ahsaas hua ki ki tumhare bina meri zindagi kitni khali, sooni si hai"

Naina stares at him. She doubts on what he was planning to do but she can never imagine it to be true.

He took a ring out and took her hand.

Rajveer: please be mine forever. Will you marry me so that tumse milne ke lie itna tadapna na pade kabhi mujhe.

Her eyes have become completely round. She cannot believe he actually proposed her. She couldn't do much except nod once.

Rajveer smiled ear to ear and made her wear that ring. He then came to sit besides her, cupped her face and kissed her deeply.

When he left her lips, Naina put her head on his shoulders. Rajveer had his arms around her.

Naina: You know this is the best belated birthday gift ever.

Rajveer chuckled on this.

Naina: how are you going to top this up next year?

Rajveer now see her seriously, that what the hell she is saying. Naina burst out laughing watching his expressions and he caught her again for another kiss.