distance (george x reader) pt. 1

you and george were childhood friends but you moved away from the u.k. and he comes to visit you in the u.s. 10 years later
i dont know i just think george is neat
loosely based on the story of my parents meeting at the airport lol
i'm going to start alerting what the pronouns will be for these oneshots (unless specified as male! reader/fem! reader in the title !!)
she/her pronouns !!

there is always a promise that all children have been known to make as soon as they can form coherent sentences: "we'll be together forever." that is true in most cases, best friends don't move away from each other too often but when it does happen, it can be the biggest blow.
for you, though, distance made the heart grow stronger.
4 year old girls didn't really care about boys at first, only knowing them as someone who didn't like to play with girls very much. which is why you thought it was weird when a boy came up to you on the playground and asked to play with you. of course, you said no because boys are "icky" and that lead to a wonderful blossoming friendship that was very loosely based on being called a stalker, random hangouts, and quite obviously, moving away. the both of you were only starting secondary school and knew what moving away to a completely different country meant. you'd lived in the uk for most of your life and this had to be the worse separation you'd ever had since your parents hid your pacifier from you.
but you weren't going to let that show when george and his family drove you to the airport.
your parents and his all chatted a bit outside of the security gate, sharing past stories that had been told multiple times at dinner parties between your families. meanwhile, the both of you just awkwardly stood there, scrolling through absolutely nothing on your phones or just staring at your feet. it hadn't become too apparent to you yet but the sudden thought of not seeing george everyday pained you more than not being able to see your other close friends. he was the one who you played video games with, laughed so hard you snorted with, and basically the guy who saw you go through so many embarrassing phases. were you really going to pretend you weren't thinking about any of that for the sake of looking cool?
"i'm gonna miss you, you know..."
you can't help but blush at that as you look over at him, tears slowly sliding down his cheeks. "um...me too." you say, stuffing your hands in your pockets as he goes to rub his eyes. you still don't approach him, shifting on your feet.
"is....can we..."
"george, we need to go!" you hear his parents say, still not looking at him. and just like that, you never got to say a proper good bye to your best friend of 14 years.

it had been almost 10 years more and there you were, 5 a.m. and getting comfortable in bed after a long night of doing nothing but talking to friends and playing games before your eyes snapped open. you groan in frustration, slapping your cheeks that were already starting to redden. "you moron....you LIKED him. and all you thought was 'you're gonna be so lame if you cry at the airport so don't do it'...fucking hell." you say, grabbing a pillow to proceed to smother yourself. you had regretted all your decisions you ever made since that day, thinking about that one event everyday. you hadn't lost contact with george which is probably what made you think about it so often. but you had revisited that point in your life a little more than usual after the conversation the two of you had over DM's a few days ago.

-LAST WEEK-

georgenotfound 🗸
Active now 🟢

4:45 p.m.

georgenotfound
helloo y/n :))

[your user]
hellooo ^^

georgenotfound
sorry for just popping in like that, i just wanted
to ask you something