Chapter 10: Do You Copy?

A crackle of static came from inside Susan’s backpack. “Eagle-Two to Eagle-One, do you copy? Over,” Amy’s voice said anxiously.

Susan pulled out her walkie-talkie. “Copy that. What’s your 20?”

“What?”

Susan sighed. “Where are you?”

“I don’t know,” she whispered, “but it smells really bad and it’s really dark and-“ Susan heard a shriek that was quickly cut off.

“What’s happening?” Adrian asked, looking up from a new book he was reading, To Kill a Mockingbird.

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s something dangerous,” Susan replied. “Report. Report. Tell me what happened. Do you copy?” she whispered into the walkie-talkie.

“I found the light switch,” Amy said, voice shaking. “There are two rotting bodies in the room.”

“Describe them to me,” Susan urged when the device fell silent. She and Adrian waited until they heard background noise come from the speaker.

“There’s…umm…a woman. She’s wearing a pink nightie with flowers on them a-and-“ The walkie-talkie became silent again.

“Sorry,” Amy’s quivering voice whispered. “Th-there’s a knife stabbed in her chest and she’s holding a gun. And…there’s a man wearing a tuxedo laying facedown with an exit wound in the back of his head. And there’s a bullet hole in the wall.”

Silence.

“I’m really sorry; I needed to get out of the room,” Amy said a minute later.

“No, it’s fine. I think that’s enough information for the Doctor,” Susan reassured.

“I’ll just keep looking for him, then. Over and out.”

Susan and Adrian stared at the walkie-talkie Susan held in her hands; Adrian’s facial expression was a mixture of confusion and concern.

“I’m feeling a little sick,” he said. “That’s normal, right?”

Susan shrugged. “Humans normally feel some kind of sadness or fear when there’s a murder involved,” she said, though she didn’t personally experience these emotions. She was feeling more eagerness than horror, keen on the mystery of the two corpses in the TARDIS.

“Because I read about guns and knives in To Kill a Mockingbird,” Adrian continued. “The knife that killed Mr. Ewell and the guns that killed Tom Robinson. And there was also a lot of violence in this book.” He pointed to a book titled All Quiet on the Western Front.

“Yep, guns and knives can be very dangerous,” Susan remarked.

“Then why do we have them?” Adrian looked completely bewildered.

“People like to kill each other.”

“I don’t,” he said. “I think it’s horrifying to want to end someone’s existence in the world.”

Susan and Adrian read quietly for a couple hours. Suddenly, the wooden doors flew open, and in burst the Doctor and Amy, both huffing and puffing. Amy had changed from her nightie into a white shirt and denim miniskirt and the Doctor was holding a black, rectangular device.

“I am extremely sorry about that,” the Doctor said guiltily. “I was so caught up in trying to figure out the…mystery… that I forgot to tell you where I was.”

“No, it’s okay, we’re fine. This is Adrian.” Susan gestured to the boy sitting next to her. He waved hesitantly.

“Hi.”