16. Homesick

I missed my home.

I missed my mom, and my sister, and district four.

I missed going to the shore and watching the waves wash away every imperfect flaw from the sand during the early hours of the morning, right as the suns rising.

I missed being alone with Finnick.

The sun had completely sank, enveloping us in almost total darkness. We stumbled over the underbrush, tripping over vines and sticks, as quietly as we could.

All seven of us.

"Could we please take a break?" Johanna wiped her forehead, groaning as she looked up through the leaves. "It's hot, and I'm tired."

"No rest for the weary, Johanna." I breathed in deeply, coughing. The air was heavy, like a thick blanket, it was highly unwelcome. Finnick placed his hand on my arm and I shook my head, clearing my throat. "I'm fine."

"Maybe we should rest," Finnick said, looking between Johanna and I. "It is getting kind of late. Besides, if we plan on making it to the tree by tomorrow, we need some rest."

I nodded in agreement as I looked around at all the exhausted victors. Circles darker than the sea near district four looped around their eyes. I nearly chuckled, mentally comparing Finnick to a racoon.

The canopy of leaves provide a small breeze that send a shiver up my spine, but it was a welcome reprieve from the mugginess of early evening.

We sank down onto the damp earth, and I breathed in deeply. I loved the smell of nature after it rained, the only thing better than that was the smell of the sea. Oh how I missed that.

I rested against a tree, taking slow deep breaths. With the pregnancy being fairly early it was hard to feel anything, but I could see small movement under my tight outfit. Finnick sat beside me.

"So, I was thinking Rosalie for a girl, or-"

"Woah, woah, woah, what are you talking about?"

"Well names of course." Finnick chuckled as he swung his arm around my shoulders. "I didn't think that sugar, or sugarcube, or sweetheart would be an appropriate name for our child, and I didn't figure you'd want to name it after me, you know it'd get confusing, so I thought I should think of different names."

I grinned slightly, my heart swelling as I looked at him. I wanted to cry. I wanted to cry for many reasons but I wanted to cry now because Finnick is under appreciate.

Finnick doesn't get the credit from the Capitol that he deserves, he doesn't get the recognition. Finnick deserves more than he could ever get, more than I could ever give and I knew it.

I supposed it wouldn't matter soon, anyways. I just hope that with whatever happens, he makes it through and finds true happiness because heaven knows if one many deserved it, it's him.

He cooked his head to the side, his eye squinting at me as if he could read my thoughts, I knew he could read my thoughts, but he didn't say anything.

"What about Artemis?" He asked. "Or Oliver? If it's a boy. I know you always thought the nicknames Artie and Ollie were cute."

I smiled, sighing quietly. "I love those."

"Yeah? Well, we have plenty of time too so-" He knew I was about to scoff and put a hand up, signaling me to pause. "So, let's think about it? You can sometimes be indecisive."

"Oh I can be indecisive? How about yourself?"

"Me?" He feigned hurt, before breaking out in laughter, kissing my cheek softly. "I love you, and our child and I want to be with you for ever, you're my other half, my best half, my soulmate. I love you."

"And I you, Sugarcube."