The Circus of Horrific Wonders

" I'm pretty sure this is the place," Carlaiah said. Parking her car next to a good amount of others. All of these cars were parked right in front of a trail that led off into the forest.

"It's got to be, why else would people all be parked her. Plus this is where the banner says to park." Darhla said, looking down and squinting at the flyer in her hands.

We all stepped out of the car and I looked around at the ones surrounding us. All dark with their metal exteriors shining under the light of the moon.

We all started down the dirt road, my nerves coming on high ends as it got eerily quiet all around us. I think maybe there might be an owl hooting in the distance.

Our shoes kicked up dirt and stepped over twigs as we made our way down the road. Each step making me more and more nervous about my decision to come here. Especially since I did not tell my parents that I was going. I told them that Maurice wanted me to do a little overtime since we were low on pies.

I felt bad that I had lied to them. I never lied to them. I had always been a good girl who did what she was told. So why am I starting this now?

" Look!" Debby said. Pointing out her finger as we came out of the trees. There, in a large clearing was the circus. It was a little bit of ways on a winding dirt path to get to the entrance, but it was it all right.

Even from here, I could hear the sound of distant circus music. We all jumped, some of them screaming as a pair of boys ran past us from the forest. Shouting at each other as they raced for the line.

" Come on! Come on! Come on!" Debby urged us all and we started walking again. The music got louder and louder the closer we got and eventually we were able to see the group of people at the front waiting to get in.

We got into the back, behind the snickering boys who passed us and I looked around at all of the decorated light poles surrounding us.

" Welcome one! Welcome, all! Welcome to the Circus of Horrific Wonders!! Please form an orderly line and the person behind the counter will serve you!" A loud voice boomed over the crowd.

My coworkers and I were closer to the back of the decently sized group of townsfolk. The large circus was in a gigantic forest clearing, or maybe it was an abandoned field. The land was littered with red, orange, and blue striped tents with a gargantuan one in the center.

I could see other people milling around through the smaller tents. Going around through the stall and buying things as well. I could hear circus music coming from somewhere within.

Night had fallen and a full moon was in the sky. The orange light of the circus was lighting up the clearing and all of the people within. Giving it a spooky glow.

My coworkers jumped around in excitement as the line between us and the ticket booth got shorter and shorter. I pulled my jacket tighter around myself. It was still kind of windy and it was making the air cold.

The people in front of us were let through the bars and into the circus grounds. We stepped up to the booth which was more of a desk with someone painted in clown makeup behind it.

They giggled and chuckled, cracking out jokes as we approached. I noticed something though, the red makeup around his lips was painted in a big frown instead of an overly large smile.

" Four tickets to the show," Debby said to the clown and he started hooting and hollering. Doing a little dance before speaking.

" It will cost ya regular to get into the circus and walk around! play some games, get some food! however, if you wanna see the creepy-crawly show it will cost ya a tad bit extra girlies!!"