Jekyll's Frown

The van was mostly quiet as we slightly sped down the small, empty forest road. Rachel was driving again, and even though I could not see her, I could hear her fuming breaths. When we had ran back to the vehicles to escape the scene of the crime, she had seemed very reluctant to take her eyes off of me, even if it was only to drive. She angrily started the van and had raced off after the one Andrew was driving.

Most of the others had climbed into that Van, including Carol. She had been a target of the attack too, so I could very much understand her need to be around Andrew right now. In this Van with Rachel and I was Hyde of course, who was still letting me hug onto him as if I might never let go again. Gary was in the passenger seat next to Rachel. Every now and then I could hear them grumble something to each other, though I was not able to make out. the words they were saying.

Anna was with us too, more towards the back. She had not said a word yet, but every time I glanced back at her she was smiling at me with sad and worried eyes. I knew she was there if I needed her, and I appreciated her giving me space and letting me cry against Hyde. For now, just her comforting presence was enough to help soothe my wracked nerves.

Both of Hydes hands were on my back gently, his fingers gently curled into the fabric of my dress. One of my hands was on his chest while the other one was curled around the junction of his neck to his shoulder. My right cheek was pressed against the fabric of the plaid shirt he wore. The area was soaked with my tears, but my friend did not seem to mind.

He said nothing to me, but he really did not need too. Plus, I think I kind of preferred the silence in the moment anyhow. It gave me a sense that things were starting to calm down and that I was Truley safe. That I could put my guard down and relax at least somewhat. Whereas if everyone was still talking in an angry and defensive manner, I would never be able to settle down.

After a little bit, I was no longer crying as hard as I was before. The waterworks still flowed, but my breathing was much gentler, and I had stopped shaking. Hydes grip on me tightened a little as I started to settle down and I felt his torso shift as he moved his head so that he could look down at me. I felt his eye bore into the top of my head, but I did not look up to meet his gaze.

Instead, I continued to look at the floor of the van. Feeling the hum of its engine beneath my body and the slight bump every time the road hitched, or we hit some pebbles. The warm breath wafting down from Hyde as it hit the top of my hair. Gary still had my hat, but I really was not that concerned about that for the moment. Eventually Hyde shifted again as he looked up to the front towards Rachel and Gary.

" We need to find a spot to turn around." HIs gruff voice hissed above me. Since my head was to his chest, I could feel how his chest rumbled with his words. I perked up in confusion and a little bit of shock. Turn around? What did he mean by that? He most certainly did not mean turn around to go back to the station, right? No, he could not have.

" Were coming upon it here soon." Rachel called back, seeming to have already been on that plan of action before Hyde even said anything. I pushed a little bit away from Hyde, peeling my face from where my tears made his shirt wet and sticky. My eyes met his eye briefly before I glanced to the front where Rachel and Gary were, then back to Hyde.

His dark brown eye was slightly wide, and a frown was plastered as his expression. Not his usual Hyde frown that usually held hints of annoyance and irritation. This one was simultaneously saying " Are you ok?" While also planning for murder. I ppulled my hand from his neck and wiped the tears from my face while sniffling.

" Turning around? Where are we going?" I asked softly. Hyde blinked down at me.

" Back to the Circus. We're getting you home." He responded. My eyes widened at his statement. Home was already practically two days away at this point. As shook as I was right now, it would be too detrimental to the circus were we to turn around now. Especially if they would need to head right back out anyway.