A Talk With Papa

“Now, where did we leave off? Bishop to queen three.” Randolph said, as he, Genevieve and [Y/n] sat in the throne room, he and Genevieve playing chess, with [Y/n] watching them.

“Hm. You're making me pay for beating you last time.” Genevieve stated.

“Exactly.”

“You’ll have to wait a little longer. Rook takes bishop.”

“Oh! How did I miss that?”

The girls laugh, and then exchange a look.

“Papa, we were wondering...”

“If I'll go easy on you? No. Knight to king four.”

“It’s about Cousin Rowena actually.” [Y/n] said.

“Charming, isn't she?”

“Very, uh... stylish. But she's changing everything.”

“She wants us to do everything her way.” Genevieve piped in.

“As I've asked her to.” Randolph replied.

“But we were fine before.”

“Oh, that's not what I've heard, [Y/n].” Rowena said entering the room, rolling a tea cart.

“But perhaps you're right. There's so much work to be done, maybe I'm not the right one for the task. What you really need is an entire team, you see. Tutors for protocol, diction, language, etiquette, style. It's exhausting just to think about. I should go. Yes, I should.” Rowena said dramatically.

“No, Rowena, you mustn't.” Randolph said, getting up to meet his cousin, making the girls look at him in disbelief.

“My girls need you. I can't embarrass them in front of the kingdom by bringing in groups of tutors. There's enough talk already.”

“Well, if you really think I can be of service.” Rowena said in fake enthusiasm.

“It's settled, then?”

“But, Papa...” The twins started.

“You must listen to the duchess. She knows what's best for you. I don't want to hear any more on the subject.”
The twins sighed.

“Yes, Papa.” They both got up and left the room.

Randolph sighed as he watched them go.

“I hate to see them so upset.”

“Girls are so emotional.” Rowena said, pouring some tea into two teacups.

“What they need is proper guidance.” She handed a teacup to The King.

“Here, dear cousin, try this tea. Smooth and refreshing.”

The King took a sip and Rowena  smiled, raising her own cup.

“To your health.”

That night, the girls all gather round Genevieve and [Y/n], to hear exactly what their  father had said.

“He won't listen. He thinks Rowena's helping us.” Genevieve said.

“This can't go on forever, can it?” Blair asked.

“At least tomorrow will be a good day.” Ashlyn sighed.

“Will we have cake?” Lacey asked excited.

“Presents?”

“A party?” Her sisters asked, equally excited too.

“It's your birthday, isn't it?” [Y/n] replied making the triplets giggle.