Chapter 11

"Morain, what are you doing here?" she asked while fidgeting with her fingers.

"Well I needed to have a talk with you husband" he said raising a brow. "Where is he?"

She almost let herself slip and tell him he wasn't actually her husband.

"You actually just missed him. He dropped me off before heading back to the office."

Morain hummed, analyzing her. He knew she was acting off, he knew it was because she knew something she wasn't supposed to or she was up to something he wouldn't approve of. She knew he knew. He always had a strong intuition, all his years in the mafia added to it.

"Adelaide, spit it out."

"I..." she blanked out for a second trying to come up with something to tell him. She usually wasn't so terrible when it came to lying and hiding things, but this time she was too terrified. Morain tilted his head up while still peering down at her. It wasn't like her to do things behind his back, he knew she felt guilty about it. He had a feeling she accidentally found out about something Adonis doing. He patted her shoulder.

"Come, lets go sit and talk" he said walking towards Adonis's office. Adelaide became even more nervous. She hoped he didn't know about Adonis's plan and wasn't testing her. He sat down on the sofa that was facing his desk, but still had a strong grip on his cane.

"Now tell me, what is it that Adonis has done that has you so frazzled?"

Her entire face dropped. So he knew that she knew, at least he hinted that he knew so she'd have some sort of grace.

"He, Stephan, and Santiago have devised a plan to kill both you and Ares so the 3 of them could take over the entire empire she blurted out.

Morain couldn't say he was surprised about what he was planning. He knew that boy always held anger in his heart. He knew he was a power hungry brat with mommy issues. He didn't mind Adonis trying to kill him too much, he was about to die anyways. Him trying to kill Ares was more important. Ares was meant to be the backbone of the empire when he passed. There was no one as good as or better than him for the job. If anyone took over, especially those three stooges, the empire would go to hell and completely crumble. Though he knew he could easily eradicate the issue. What he was actually bothered by was the fact that Adelaide had the nerve to hide such information from him. They were supposed to be like family, and she tell him about a possible risk to his life or the entire empire? He turned to her with his usual emotionless face.

"And you've known how long?"

Adelaide gulped, "Just for a couple of days, but I promise I wasn't going to let him go through with it! I just wanted a little time to get close with him and make him realize how dumb and absolutely reckless the entire plan was and how it can tip over the whole of Europe and the U.S."

Morain sighed. She always was so considerate even though she had an attitude. She was trying to save him as well. He was pleased that now he didn't have to torture his niece to death. He was still angered by her recklessness, he wasn't going to have anything terrible happen to her. Just berate her.

"I get what you were trying to do. It was kind but reckless and completely idiotic. A man like him doesn't deserve mercy. And to top it off you risked your life in the process. I'll deal with you later, I have to go capture your husband if you'll excuse me."

Morain stood up and quickly walked out of the room. Once she heard him leave the house she danced and cheered around the room. She was finally free from the shackles of Adonis. She could have the life she always planned on having.