FOUR - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Harry: Rainy days, you hated them. Los Angeles was not the place for rain, so when it came everyone’s mood was shot. You sit at the breakfast bar, cereal in front of you, phone off to the side, as you review everything you had to get done today. Errands were no fun in the rain, but you had put them off for so long that you had no choice. You close the notes on your phone and get back to your breakfast. Your phone lights back up though, as it begins to buzz on the counter top. You move your finger across the screen and put the call on speaker. “Morning,” you answer as you continue to eat. “I didn’t wake you up, did I?” Harry questions, his voice slightly off. “No, I had to get up early today. What’s up?” There was a long pause after your question. “Harry?” What was going on? “She’s gone,” he finally reveals, and you’re even more confused. “What do you mean she’s gone?” “When I got back home after rehearsal Friday…she was gone.” “Friday? Harry that was a week ago,” you tell him, as if he wasn’t already aware. “Yeah, I haven’t heard from her since that morning when I left.” “Well do you know where she could have gone?” “No,” he answers solemnly, he was getting emotional now. What was she trying to do to him? And more importantly, why was he letting her? “How many times have you tried to get ahold of her?” “More times than I probably should.” Well, that was probably the truth. You try your best to refrain from having an ‘I told you so’ moment; that isn’t what he needs right now. Harry is your friend, and he’s calling you now because he needs you. He doesn’t know what to do, but in all reality neither do you. If it were up to you, he would have been done with her a long time ago; none of this would even be an issue. He had stuck around so this, indeed, was now an issue. “You want me to try and call her?” You offer. You didn’t want to, you want him to be done with her. But you remember back to the conversation you had with him a few weeks back about friends supporting each other. Calling her was all you could really offer. “Could you?” He asks. This whole thing had been so emotionally draining for him. “Yeah, I’ll call you right back,” you tell him before ending the call and scrolling through your contacts. Why did you even have her number? The only time you had ever called her was to get in touch with him. You select her name and wait. Once. Twice. Straight to voicemail. You roll your eyes. She knew exactly what she was doing. It’s always just a game. “She didn’t answer,” you say once you’re back on the line with Harry. He sighs, and your heart sinks. If you didn’t like her before for cheating on him, you weren’t sure what you felt towards her now for abandoning him like this. Whatever it was it wasn’t good. “Why didn’t you call me sooner? I mean, she’s been gone a week, right?” “I don’t know. I just didn’t want to come to you with my relationship again. You’re always on my case about her, but this time she’s proving you right.” You could at least thank her for that. Maybe he was finally coming around. “Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I still wouldn’t be here to talk about it with you. Come on, Harry, you know me better than that, don’t you?” There was more silence. “Of course I’m going to be critical of someone doing this to you, but I’m not heartless. Please tell me you know that.” “Yeah, I know that.” You needed to do something. He never liked you getting involved in his relationship but this was about to head downhill faster than it already was if you didn’t step in. “Come see me,” you suggest. It was the only thing you had to offer him. Time with you to clear his head, away from London and out of that house. “When?” “Whenever you can, just soon.” You wanted him with you; it was always better that way. 

Liam: “What do you mean you aren’t going?” Liam’s tone was at a level you rarely heard. “I can’t Liam, I need to be here for my sister.” Your explanation was not helping your cause, he wanted you with him. “She ended her engagement; she isn’t in a hospital dying,” he counters and now you’re frustration is coming through. “I know that but this is a big deal for her. I can’t just leave her.” He had to think of something. He knew you weren’t going to up and leave her no matter how strict his voice got. He has to get you out of the country. “Bring her with you. You both can come.” He was biting his tongue now, but anything to get you out of Wolverhampton. “Seriously?” “Yes, now tell her to pack quickly. The plane is leaving in four hours.” He hangs up the phone, and you stare over at your emotional wreck of a sister. “Pack your bags,” you tell her. She looks at you in confusion. “We’re going to Australia.” You weren’t sure how you had done it. Made it to the airport on time, that is. You were certain the running around the house like madwomen had something to do with it though. Thank goodness this was a private flight, otherwise you would have definitely had to stay in the UK. You climb the steps up onto the private plane that would be taking you to paradise and smile at the familiar faces that greet you once inside. “Weren’t sure you were going to make it,” Liam says as he extends his hand over to the two empty seats across from him. “Hey everybody,” you greet with a smile, “You all remember my sister, yeah?” They all nod their heads and wave before settling in for the long flight. You turn back to Liam and smile. “Thank you for this.” “Anything for you, you know that.” You scrunch your nose up, he was so cute sometimes. You take your seat beside your sister. This trip was exactly what she needed to get her mind off of the drama she was about to leave at home. She had already started to loosen up and relieve the tension she had been feeling earlier. A new adventure did that to people. You were so grateful to see her in a better state. “So what did Mark say about you going on this trip?” She asks just as soon as the plane begins to move. Liam’s eyes snap up from his phone screen. “He’s really excited for me. He knows how long I’ve been wanting to go. He said he wants lots of bikini pictures,” you say with a laugh. Liam tries his best to keep his comments to himself. “He’s so cute. I still can’t believe you wrangled him in. I’m still confused about all of that,” she teases and neither of you pay attention to Liam tensing up across from you. He hadn’t brought you on this trip for you to constantly talk about Mark. In fact, he had done it for the completely opposite reason. “When do you think he’s going to ask you out? I mean surely you’re getting close to that point, don’t you think?” “You two want anything to drink?” Liam interrupts, not being able to keep quiet any longer. Anything to break up this conversation. You both look up at him, slightly thrown off by his intrusion. “No, I think we’re good for right now,” you answer with a smile and turn back to your sister. “You know, I don’t know. I mean, there are times when I think he’s going to ask, but he doesn’t and then I’m just like, ‘Am I doing something wrong?’” “So you want him to ask you out?” You smile as your cheeks flush, giving away your answer immediately. “Oh my gosh, you two are so cute,” she responds. “You would make such a cute couple.” Liam scoffs softly, and she turns to him. He only stares at her. He didn’t want to hear about Mark this entire trip, and she had just been given the notice.