Rekindled

Arial clasped her dog tag and that of Sacks. Her clammy palms an indication she had been holding onto it for a while. A flashback of her life as a servicewoman returned to her as she isolated herself in the confines of her room. She rested her back against the side of her bed and straightened up upon hearing two knocks on the door.

"Arilesse?"

Raymond's muffled voice brought her back to their misunderstanding. The facts he had stated were no more than mere truth. Despite his insensitivity, there was no way Arial could blame him for searching her up. She just could not resist reflecting on the memories associated with those facts. Memories of the lives she had both saved and lost. She spared herself a moment before answering.

"Come in."

Light from the pathway illuminated the room when Raymond entered. Apparently, Arial had been cooping herself up in the dark. He switched the lights on, readjusting his glasses and blinking intensely at the sight of the ruffled bedsheet and loose ropes on her bed. Despite his tendency to fix the disorganisation, Raymond reminded himself of his intention to console her. He crouched before sitting on the floor next to Arial by the bed. He ran his fingers through his golden-brown hair, shifting in his sitting position to face her.

"Sacks and I, we were bunkmates. We always fought side by side on our deployments. Everywhere I go, she'd be there. Looking after me. A bright soldier she was."

Arial sighed in reminiscent of her army days. Meanwhile, Raymond earnestly lent her his listening ear. After clearing her throat, she continued.

"Until a rescue mission vanquished one of us. Guarding the families, it came with a price... And the price was her life."

From Arial's brittle tone, Raymond finally understood the reason behind her fit at the mention of Pamela Sacks. He had jogged the memory of an individual she once cherished. He lowered his head, noticing how much her devastating experience aligned with his spectrum of beliefs.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

"Excuse me?"

Arial turned to face him. Similarly, he observed the tanned skin of her countenance. The room's downlight hinting a glow on her face. Raymond studied her pair of hazel eyes. No one possessed the power of telepathy. Weirdly however, he could sense her bereavement just by the look of them. A moment passed before he chose his words wisely.

"She died in honour."

Arial raised an eyebrow, convinced that Raymond had not repeat what was formerly said. Alas, she nodded lightly, brushing her thumb over the engravings of Sacks' dog tag. It was hard not to think about the ones who had sacrificed their lives for the fault of others.

Raymond watched as Arial fiddled with the dog tag. He had the urge to comfort her with an embrace but thought twice and figured it felt too soon. He rose to his feet and straightened his vest before offering his hand. In appreciation of his concern, she accepted it. She then reached for her haversack to keep the dog tags. As a way to heighten her spirit, Raymond decided to share his findings on the culprit responsible for the attacks.

"Arilesse, with your sharpness, I was able to pinpoint the person accountable for last night's unprecedented disturbance."

Arial cringed by the mention of her name. It might be her real name but it just did not sit right.

"I go by that name no more, Ray. Just call me Arial."

"Very well."

"Who was it, then?"

Raymond was glad when his finding distracted Arial from mulling over her past. Assured of her improved mood, he answered her query.

"According to the initials you mentioned, I've managed to narrow down my hunt. The geezer turns out to be Thatcher, an arms dealer. Must be too proud of his imports to label his acronym on his supplies."

Arial was impressed by Raymond's efficiency in gathering the information. Well, he was a drug lord's best man after all. She zipped her haversack in the open wardrobe before facing him.

"Right, so how are you planning to capture him?"

"Rumour has it he also runs an unlicensed boxing cartel in Hackney. I've got an address. We can take it as a starting point."

Arial wiggled her index finger, as if referring to both of them.

"We?"

"Yes, we. You're going to have to prove yourself, remember?"

Proving herself capable carried a bulk of the trial, that Arial understood. It did not occur to her that Raymond would allow her to tag along on consequential jobs such as this one. Nonetheless, she was not complaining.

Raymond stooped his head, trying to decipher Arial's thoughts as she stared into space. Perhaps, she was trying to let his suggestion sink in. He caught her attention by the snap of his fingers.

"Arial?"

"Oh, um... I just thought the trial will be conducted within the facility, is all."

"That's what you thought. Consider this fieldwork."