CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Facing the beast.

Morgan Stark had officially dumped Bradley. Wanda Maximoff had finally kicked the annoying fifteen year-old out of her basement. Pepper Potts was fuming with a white hot rage and worried to death about her daughter. And, said daughter in question, was currently stood on the porch of her own house with her sister beside her, attempting to concoct an apology speech.

"She's going to kill me."

"She's not going to kill you, Stevie. She's just worried." There was a long silence, "ok, if you don't knock then I will because I'm really cold and the WiFi sucks out here." Morgan held her phone above her head, attempting to get a signal, "I have to take Bradley's name out of my Instagram bio ASAP."

"Oh my Thor, fine, fine. I'll knock."

Her knuckles grazed the door in a rhythmic pattern which alerted Pepper – angrier than ever and curled up on the couch with a half-empty glass of wine. She scuttled towards the door and flung it open, wasting no time in wrapping her arms around both of her daughters. The three of them almost fell over, but Stevie stuck her foot out to stop them from doing so.

As soon as Pepper pulled away, she began scolding them, "where on earth have you been? No note, beds empty. You had Loki shape-shift for you? You fell off of a cliff for God's sake! Stevie Stark, I can assure you that this will not be taken lightly. You're grounded. And I'm taking your tools."

"My tools?!"

"Her tools?!" Morgan had given up on finding an internet connection and was now paying attention to what was going on in front of her, "Mom, listen, she's been through so much in the last few days. You can't ground her!"

Pepper scoffed. "Don't even get me started on you, young lady." Her finger pressed against Morgan's chest, "you're eighteen. Such behaviour as you've displayed is childish and pathetic. You're grounded too. No phone for a week."

The girls both made their way to their rooms solemnly, not wanting to provoke their beast-like mother any further. She could be extremely scary at times.

About an hour later, however, Morgan slipped out of her bedroom and tiptoed downstairs into the basement where she knew that her sister would be. Stevie's tools had been confiscated, as well as her lab coat, goggles and any scientific equipment that she owned. Which is why instead of working she was hunched over her bench sadly with her head in her hands.

"Stevie." Morgan whispered, sneaking over to her. "I got you something."

She had brought her secret tool set down. It was kept underneath her bed at all times, because Odin forbid that Stevie knew her sister had anything mechanical at all. Morgan was very smart, though. She may not be comparable to her sister at mathematics or science, but she found a certain interest in fixing broken things and occasionally changing an odd tire or two.

Stevie spun around slowly.

Her gaze landed on the glossy, red, cylindrical box and she froze for a moment in sheer shock of the sight. Her sister had never done anything nice for her – not since they were little, that is. But she supposed that things had changed now. They were friends.

"Mom was right." Continued Morgan, "I was being really childish. I always am. If I hadn't driven you away then you wouldn't have gone to some space planet and thrown yourself off of the edge-"

"Woah, woah woah." She grabbed the toolbox from her sister and placed it on her work bench before leading them both over to the scruffy couch in the corner of the room, "none of that was your fault. I was depressed about dad, I mean, when am I not?" She laughed lightheartedly, "and I let it get the better of me."

"Well-"

Stevie stopped her, "no, no, no. Don't get all sappy on me. One step at a time." She slid her shoes off and kicked her feet up onto the coffee table. "Gossip Girl, was it?"