Dove

JUNGKOOK
Days on trial: 66

The wind howled behind me as I shuddered at the door of my mom's place. With estranged parents, Christmas had always been a tricky one to navigate, even more so as an adult than it had been as a child. Back then, it was them who chose for me, but now I had to choose who to see, and it wasn't a decision I enjoyed making.

As a result, a compromise had been struck a few years back; I'd see them both, one during the day and the other for the evening, alternating each year.

First up today was mom, and for once, I didn't feel agitated. Sure, my step-dad would inevitably be a dick, and his snotty little kids would be even worse, but the usual anxiety that rested in my lungs didn't seem to be making itself known. Fresh air filled them, like it was spring already.

I felt content. It seemed silly to fret over the factors in my life that I didn't enjoy, when there were so many things that I did enjoy. I had the boys, our little apartment, a job I loved to do, and colours - fucking colours!!

I also had a certain little reporter, who kept prodding at my phone notifications during my drive back. Every time it pinged, I smiled. It didn't matter what the messages said - and she didn't care that I wasn't getting back to her. She'd double, triple, even quadruple text me if she had something she wanted to share with me. 

There were no games with Annie - yet I always felt like I was winning. 

Right on cue, my phone vibrated in my back pocket, and I slid it out to check.

annie📝:
RED ALERT

annie📝:
i know you like red, but i don't mean it in a good way

annie📝:
I MEAN IT IN A VERY BAD WAY

idiot🥴:
how bad are we talking?

I grinned as the message sent through, the nickname that she had christened me with on our messaging app standing tall and proud above my words. If I'd have figured out all those weeks ago that it was actually her way of flirting with me, then maybe I wouldn't have been such an idiot after all. That being said, she reckoned she liked idiots, so perhaps I should have been thanking my lucky stars instead.

Her reply was instant, lighting up the screen that I had only just locked.

annie📝:
i was carrying my little niece over to the table and she started playing with the neckline of my jumper

idiot🥴:
okay? 

annie📝:
she asked me what was only my neck

annie📝:
SHE COULD DISTINGUISH THE HUES

idiot🥴:
OH

annie📝:
i told her that i just had a poorly neck 

idiot🥴:
looooool, sorry matey

annie📝:
wasn't a very 'matey' thing to do now, was it? 🙃 😉

idiot🥴:
what? we're just mates... aren't we? 😜

annie📝:
i'm blocking you

idiot🥴:
please do