Chapter 5: Training! Life at Mt. Sagiri (Pt. 1)

***THREE MONTHS LATER***

".............ah."

The first thing Nezuko realised when she opened her eyes was the bright light shining on her face. Instinctively, she raised her hand to shield her eyes.

As she moved, she realised that she was lying in a strange position -- facing up to the sky, she was stuck inside a cramped space, her legs thrown above her. Light shone down on her from between her legs.

——she was inside a deep hole that was dug underground.

".......ugh....."

As she shifted, she felt pain shoot up the side of her abdomen. Moving as softly as possible, she adjusted her position so that she was sitting down inside the hole.

.........Ah. Now I remember what happened.

It was early morning when Nezuko started her training — the descent down Mount Sagiri.

After taking two good hours to hike all the way up the tall mountain, she got into position, then dashed down a separate path — with traps set all around the road.

Like always, there were many variations to the traps: there were simple ones like pitfalls and sticks placed to stumble her feet...... down to strings, that when pulled, set loose logs and bamboo sticks down on her.... there were even some dangerous traps that would shoot pebbles at her from in between the trees.

Avoiding the traps and descending the mountain as fast as possible. 

This was a part of her training under Trainer Urokodaki Sakonji: a series of gruelling experiences that had continued for the duration of a few months already.

When she first began this training, she took nearly two hours to avoid the traps and descend the mountain. However, now that her stamina, agility and reflexes improved significantly, she was able to cut her time to a minimum of an hour in carrying out these tasks....

......But it wasn't all the time that she succeeded.

Nezuko blinked, and recalled what had happened before she passed out.

First, she mistakingly stepped on a string, which sent pebbles flying to her from the side. She barely dodged this, but in the direction which she dodged was another trap waiting for her: setting loose a large log swinging down from the opposite side. The log collided with the side of her abdomen, the shock sending her flying into the air and making her tumble down the steep path.

Unable to get up in time, she couldn't avoid falling into a pitfall set a few meters below on the path. And when she fell, she hit the back of her head. This knocked her out completely.

Nezuko sighed in dismay at the difficulty of the traps — and at how deadly they were.

.......seeing the height of the sun, it must almost be noon...... I guess I've been unconscious for more than an hour....

She staggered up, using the walls of the hole for support. She scanned the hole, which was dug almost two meters deep. She crouched and breathed out.

"A hole.... like this!!" She exclaimed, and leapt up. The damage on her side sent pain up her abdomen, but she ignored it.

Mid-air, she placed her foot on the wall and kicked, leaping up even higher. She grabbed the edge of the hole and lightly pulled herself out of the ground.

Relieved to be out in open space, she sat down on the ground and sighed deeply.

"..........I better get back quickly."